Do you know your onions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chatwon, I'm sorry there aren't any good onions in Memphis. I lived there for a couple of years and that's where I tasted my first Vidalia.

Did you check out the store that used to be Seesel's? You might have to drive out to Germantown or Collierville. Or go to one of the BBQ joints (back door) and beg to buy a couple of decent onions.

wala wala? enlighten me more svp! Poor you Chatwon. No onions, Not fair.Hope you get some soon.I don't know if I could ever survive without onions on a day to day basis. I kow I would, but would hate every minute of it.

Don't think I've ever had a walla, walla. As far as I can tell, it's a sweet onion. This looks really, really good.

Walla Walla Sweet Onions with Pine Butter
by Tom Douglas of The Dahlia Lounge in Seattle.

4 medium Walla Walla Sweet Onions
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
3 ounces unsalted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
lemon wedges and rosemary sprigs for garnish

Toast the pine nuts in a 350 degree oven for 6 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool. Caution: pine nuts burn easily. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and fire up an outdoor grill.

Peel onions and cut them in half, top to bottom. Brush onions with oil and place cut side down on the preheated grill. Barbecue until grill marks form. Place on a cookie sheet and finish cooking in the oven until tender, about 25 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the pine nut butter. Place the 1/2 cup pine nuts in the bowl of a food processor and pulse several times until finely ground. Add butter, lemon zest, rosemary, black pepper and salt. Process until mixture is well blended. Spread the tender onions liberally with pine nut butter. Return to the oven to cook just until butter is melted, about 2 minutes.

Serve onions warm, sprinkled with grated parmesan cheese and additional toasted pine nuts. Garnish plates with lemon wedges and rosemary sprigs.

Serves 4 as an entree - 8 as an appetizer

Oh my gosh Mish,
this looks fantastic..Going to make a copy and try them sunday..I love the whole thing..it has all the things I enjoy eating...Yummy..
thank you..You always find the neatest recipes..

kadesma:)

Back
Top Bottom