Do you know your onions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jikoni

Sous Chef
Well, I certainly don't but would love to . All these onions I see in the supermarkets, red, spring, yellow, cipollini and so on. They surely all can't be used in the same dishes right? And what dishes might these be? I normally reach out for the yellow onions and know not to burn them but saute them slowly to retain their natural sweetness whatever the recipe. So what about the rest? Anyone know?:chef:

Sizzles, I'm not an expert, but I can give you a couple of hints. I keep the hard yellow Spanish onions on hand to cook with, as they are good keepers, and have a strong onion flavor. I buy the large sweet yellow onions on a weekly basis for slicing or caramelizing.
The big red onions are pretty for salads.
I buy the little boiling onions for soups and stews.
By spring onions, are you referring to green onions/scallions? Chop these using tops and all for garnishes for soups and to add a zippy flavor to dips, spreads, oriental and Mexican dishes.
Shallots are a milder onion flavor, and nice for sauces.
Leeks are very mild also, and wonderful in soups, braised vegetables, or as a side dish.
As for the big white onions...the ones we get here are awfully hot.
I've recently started seeing the cipollini in the grocery store here...I haven't tried them yet.

Last edited:
I buy Texas Sweets quite often, Dina. They are wonderful.

Very informational website, Andy. Thank you!

Last edited:
Cipolline Onions are wonderful! They are quite mild and are lovely made in the following recipe and served with cocktails.

Alexa

Balsamic Glazed Cipolline Onions
The sweet sharpness of both the orange juice and the balsamic vinegar combines with the natural sugars in the onions to create a delicious snack that's perfect to serve with cocktails, as an addition to an antipasto assortment, or as an accompaniment to roasted meats.
2 pounds fresh small cipolline onions or pearl onions
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 cup fresh orange juice
3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
Blanch onions in large pot of boiling salted water 15 seconds. Using slotted spoon, transfer to large bowl of ice water to cool. Trim root end if necessary, leaving core intact. Peel onions.
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add onions and sauté until onions have deep golden brown spots, about 9 minutes. Add orange juice and vinegar; bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until onions are just tender when pierced with knife, about 8 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer onions to medium bowl. Boil juices in skillet until syrupy and reduced to 2/3 cup, about 3 minutes. Pour over onions. Serve warm or at room temperature. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Rewarm or bring to room temperature before serving.)
Market Tip
Cipolline onions are small, flat Italian onions. They can be found in the produce section of many supermarkets and Italian markets.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Bon Appétit
May 2005

Did you know that they are actually the same species as the Vidalia Onion? The difference is the soil in which they are grown. That red Georgia clay is very low in sulpher, which makes for a very sweet onion.
But I think the Texas Sweets are just as good, and they seem to keep better.

I watched America's Test Kitchen today, and they said that red onions are the best for French Onion Soup. I don't know a lot about the different varieties of onions either, so I was happy to find this thread. I know that round onions are supposed to be hotter and flat onions are supposed to be sweeter.

:) Barbara

Barbara L said:
I watched America's Test Kitchen today, and they said that red onions are the best for French Onion Soup...

Well, that's their opinion. I like a combination of red, yellow and Vidalia.

No idea there are so many different onions!Garlic is also a type of onion right?I love this thread already, thanks guys, keep the onions coming :)

your spannish yellow onion is the strongest, followed by the large white and red onions (both a little sweeter). The red is very pretty ... great for salads for that reason. The pearl onions are great for stews and creamed onions. The cipollini are wonderful poached in broth.

THe SWEET onions such as Vidalia, Wala Wala etc, are so awesome ... easy and yummy to caramelize, wonderful in dishes, great grilled slices, great to stuff and bake/braise, roast etc..

the iresistabel flavor and aroma of cooking onion, and the vit C! and they are a natural sweetener and tenderizer of meat, so always in stews and around roasts.

Actually, garlic, onions, green onions, leeks, shallots, etc. are all members of the lily family (Allium).

lindatooo said:
Sizzles, garlic is not in the onion family but I think leeks are in the garlic family. :cool:

Actually, onions are of the order Asparaginales and family Alliaceae. The onion family is made up of some 500 species. Some commonly raised vegetable alliums include the leeks, garlic, elephant garlic, chives, shallots, Welsh onions and garlic chives.

Lately I've been roasting onions. They are soooooo delicious! I roast about 3 or 4 at a time, bag them in ziplock bags and refrigerate them to use for our weekly meals. Simply cut them in quarters, leave the outer layer in to protect them from burning, drizzle a bit of extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle some salt and pepper and roast for 10 minutes in a 450 degree oven.

For three months, there have been no big "Texas-type Sweet Onions" at the local Kroger store in Memphis, TN. nor at any other store I've been too.
Has this Krazy weather been to blame? Or is this our distributers' fault?
?
Not knowing my onions very well, I got a coupla yellows and whites, about the size of tennis balls. I had been without an onion for two months.
Both of them onions were so hot, I threw them out. I also got one very large, white, peeled onion. It was no better.

signed,
(onionless in TN) :neutral:

Back
Top Bottom