"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-12-2007, 10:53 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz
LOL - Folks, it's not what or how I'm cooking. The problem is, I'm smelling and tasting the food/sauces, etc., but when I sit down to eat it, I'm not excited about it anymore. Know what I mean?
I know exactly what you mean!!!!!!!!!! I make some of my favorite things on Thanksgiving day that I don't make all year long and I KNOW for a fact I love these dishes!!!! When it comes time to sit down and eat I just go ugh - I can't even make myself touch my plate. I get a plate thinking it will "spark" my taste buds - but alas, my taste buds are saying - mmmmmmmm........, nope, not now. And even when I taste these things they are at best, mediocre. Now, the next day is another story! LOL And if I happen to just stick wtih NOT making a plate sometimes I can even have a little nibble later......sometimes. I get so mad every year.

And the same goes for anytime I cook for a larger than normal amount of people - you know you like what you made - but you just can't eat it as it doesn't taste good.

Even when I was cooking at a restaurant - there would be 10-hour stretches of cooking and no eating - I still couldn't eat anything for a few hours.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:09 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz
YT, have you come to a conclusion? Is there a remedy for us "weirdo's"?
no not really, other than it`s of Some comfort to know that there are others like you.
I find that often it`s helpfull to prep meals that you can the day before (soups, stews, and the likes) and just reheat next day, some foods actually benefit from this too.

I try now to stay Out the kitchen when I`m cooking and carry a timer/alarm.
you don`t HAVE TO be in the kitchen all the time for most foods, and the foods where you Do have to be there are often cooked so fast that the effect doesn`t really kick in too much anyway :)

I prep most my stuff in the early morning now, that gives me a day to "Forget", then it`s just a question of turning on the oven and hob(s) at the right time.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:28 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I know exactly what you mean!!!!!!!!!! I make some of my favorite things on Thanksgiving day that I don't make all year long and I KNOW for a fact I love these dishes!!!! When it comes time to sit down and eat I just go ugh - I can't even make myself touch my plate. I get a plate thinking it will "spark" my taste buds - but alas, my taste buds are saying - mmmmmmmm........, nope, not now. And even when I taste these things they are at best, mediocre.
I *so* can't relate to this I nibble and taste Thanksgiving goodies all day and still overfill my plate and overeat and go for a long walk and come back in the evening and make a leftover sandwich. I've just never had this problem.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
My problem has always been that, by the time I am done preparing the meal, I have sampled so much of the product that I am no longer hungry.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:01 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I don't have this problem. I'm always wanting to eat what I make.

Part of it might be that I tend to make really complex dishes, however. So as I'm preparing things and moving along the process, the appearance and aroma changes, melds, becomes more distinct. And when I'm doing something *really* big like a holiday meal, things are so frantic in the kitchen for so long that sitting down and eating is something akin to a spiritual release for me. I generally don't prepare things in advance, so on the holidays I've usually got 4 projects going on at once at all times.

I suppose that it's possible that if I were just throwing green beans in a pot, throwing some biscuits in the oven, making some mashed potatoes or rice in another pot and then pan frying some chicken breasts or the like - for me, a meal that doesn't really require any preparation or effort - I might not enjoy it as much, but I don't know.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:52 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Yes I like it tastes. I wouldn't cook it if I didn't like it. I smell and taste all along, and I enjoy a serving when I serve it.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:32 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I'd never heard anyone say they didn't want to eat after preparing a big meal before, but that is my problem exactly. The longer it takes to prepare a meal the less I want to eat it. I don't taste except for seasoning, but my appetite is completely jaded by time to eat. Short meals are my favorites and the best I think.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
My problem has always been that, by the time I am done preparing the meal, I have sampled so much of the product that I am no longer hungry.
that is exactly what happens to me!
also, If I'm making somethng that is spicy, adn I'm standing there smelling it for however long it takes to cook it, when I finally get it on my plate I find it completely flavourless
But I generally enjoy what i cook

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:46 PM   #19
Executive Chef

For myself, it depends on when and where.

In the restaurant, there are times when I don't taste the finished dish if I'm running a special. For example, the other night I ran a Pan Seared Copper River Salmon with a Green Papapa Salad, Cocconut-Kaffir Lime Foam, and Saffron-Ginger Jasmine Rice. I individually tasted each component but I didn't taste the entire finished dish when everything was put together because I already knew in my mind how the flavors would meld.

If I'm cooking for a big family holiday dinner, I'm also not very hungry when it's time to eat. A normal dinner sure, but not one where I'm making 2-3 main courses, the sauces, sides, etc.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:56 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

I don't dislike what I cook, but I am usually not ecstatic about (most) things. Sometimes I'll make some things that taste really good, and I'm happy, but I think I am a worse critic than other people I feed.