Do you like the way your food tastes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
I have a terrible problem of not liking what I'm cooking. Not that it tastes bad. I get tons of compliments and cleared plates. I think because I'm standing there smelling it the whole time, my senses get tired of it. Yet, if I make a roast or something in the slow cooker, I love it.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Yes, I don't eat on the holidays. After I've been making the food for 2 days, smelling it and having it waft through the house, I'm just not interested in eating it. :sick: I do enjoy the leftovers though.

Last edited:
Jeekinz said:
I have a terrible problem of not liking what I'm cooking. Not that it tastes bad. I get tons of compliments and cleared plates. I think because I'm standing there smelling it the whole time, my senses get tired of it. Yet, if I make a roast or something in the slow cooker, I love it.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Not me. I think if I didn't like what I was cooking, I'd stop cooking :ermm: When I'm smelling it while it's cooking, I'm anticipating eating it and can't wait till it's ready :)

So not me. I knock people over on the way to the table. (Just kidding) I love what I cook, becuase I cook what I love. Hey that is gonna look good in a signature somewhere.

Anyhow, the only thing that is not my favorite time in the kitchen is when it is Clean the Frig Night. Other than that, I love being in the kitchen, and my most favorite time is when our fresh bread is baking.. Who can resist the smell of fresh baking bread. And I can barely keep my daughters hands off the bread so the bread can cool enough to be cut properly. :wacko:

I'm an awful lot like GotGarlic. I do enjoy what I prepare but I didn't always like the food I prepared. I used to strongly dislike my cooking.

I've looked back to see why and discovered that it was a time when I was simply cooking to live/survive and doing it in a large quantity to feed a big family. More like cooking for an army. I cooked it, it got inhaled at mealtime and I did it all over again for the next meal. Not that those who ate it didn't like it, they loved it.

It took several years before I began to enjoy the fruits/veggies/entrees of my efforts. Now I love being in the kitchen.

LOL - Folks, it's not what or how I'm cooking. The problem is, I'm smelling and tasting the food/sauces, etc., but when I sit down to eat it, I'm not excited about it anymore. Know what I mean?

Jeekinz said:
LOL - Folks, it's not what or how I'm cooking. The problem is, I'm smelling and tasting the food/sauces, etc., but when I sit down to eat it, I'm not excited about it anymore. Know what I mean?

I know exactly what you mean!!!!!!!!!! I make some of my favorite things on Thanksgiving day that I don't make all year long and I KNOW for a fact I love these dishes!!!! When it comes time to sit down and eat I just go ugh - I can't even make myself touch my plate. I get a plate thinking it will "spark" my taste buds - but alas, my taste buds are saying - mmmmmmmm........, nope, not now. And even when I taste these things they are at best, mediocre. Now, the next day is another story! LOL And if I happen to just stick wtih NOT making a plate sometimes I can even have a little nibble later......sometimes. I get so mad every year.

And the same goes for anytime I cook for a larger than normal amount of people - you know you like what you made - but you just can't eat it as it doesn't taste good.

Even when I was cooking at a restaurant - there would be 10-hour stretches of cooking and no eating - I still couldn't eat anything for a few hours.

Jeekinz said:
YT, have you come to a conclusion? Is there a remedy for us "weirdo's"?
no not really, other than it`s of Some comfort to know that there are others like you.
I find that often it`s helpfull to prep meals that you can the day before (soups, stews, and the likes) and just reheat next day, some foods actually benefit from this too.

I try now to stay Out the kitchen when I`m cooking and carry a timer/alarm.
you don`t HAVE TO be in the kitchen all the time for most foods, and the foods where you Do have to be there are often cooked so fast that the effect doesn`t really kick in too much anyway :)

I prep most my stuff in the early morning now, that gives me a day to "Forget", then it`s just a question of turning on the oven and hob(s) at the right time.

kitchenelf said:
I know exactly what you mean!!!!!!!!!! I make some of my favorite things on Thanksgiving day that I don't make all year long and I KNOW for a fact I love these dishes!!!! When it comes time to sit down and eat I just go ugh - I can't even make myself touch my plate. I get a plate thinking it will "spark" my taste buds - but alas, my taste buds are saying - mmmmmmmm........, nope, not now. And even when I taste these things they are at best, mediocre.

I *so* can't relate to this :mellow: I nibble and taste Thanksgiving goodies all day and still overfill my plate and overeat and go for a long walk and come back in the evening and make a leftover sandwich. I've just never had this problem.

My problem has always been that, by the time I am done preparing the meal, I have sampled so much of the product that I am no longer hungry.

I don't have this problem. I'm always wanting to eat what I make.

Part of it might be that I tend to make really complex dishes, however. So as I'm preparing things and moving along the process, the appearance and aroma changes, melds, becomes more distinct. And when I'm doing something *really* big like a holiday meal, things are so frantic in the kitchen for so long that sitting down and eating is something akin to a spiritual release for me. I generally don't prepare things in advance, so on the holidays I've usually got 4 projects going on at once at all times.

I suppose that it's possible that if I were just throwing green beans in a pot, throwing some biscuits in the oven, making some mashed potatoes or rice in another pot and then pan frying some chicken breasts or the like - for me, a meal that doesn't really require any preparation or effort - I might not enjoy it as much, but I don't know.

Last edited:
Yes I like it tastes. I wouldn't cook it if I didn't like it. I smell and taste all along, and I enjoy a serving when I serve it.

I'd never heard anyone say they didn't want to eat after preparing a big meal before, but that is my problem exactly. The longer it takes to prepare a meal the less I want to eat it. I don't taste except for seasoning, but my appetite is completely jaded by time to eat. Short meals are my favorites and the best I think.

Caine said:
My problem has always been that, by the time I am done preparing the meal, I have sampled so much of the product that I am no longer hungry.
that is exactly what happens to me!
also, If I'm making somethng that is spicy, adn I'm standing there smelling it for however long it takes to cook it, when I finally get it on my plate I find it completely flavourless:wacko:
But I generally enjoy what i cook:chef:

For myself, it depends on when and where.

In the restaurant, there are times when I don't taste the finished dish if I'm running a special. For example, the other night I ran a Pan Seared Copper River Salmon with a Green Papapa Salad, Cocconut-Kaffir Lime Foam, and Saffron-Ginger Jasmine Rice. I individually tasted each component but I didn't taste the entire finished dish when everything was put together because I already knew in my mind how the flavors would meld.

If I'm cooking for a big family holiday dinner, I'm also not very hungry when it's time to eat. A normal dinner sure, but not one where I'm making 2-3 main courses, the sauces, sides, etc.

I don't dislike what I cook, but I am usually not ecstatic about (most) things. Sometimes I'll make some things that taste really good, and I'm happy, but I think I am a worse critic than other people I feed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom