"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 02-01-2008, 08:59 AM   #31
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Originally Posted by jeninga75 View Post
Thanks guys! I do remember seeing little mini bottles of wine in one of the fancier little markets we have here. About twice the size of those liquor airline bottles. I'm gonna see if I can get one of vermouth (that's wine? I thought it was liquor like vodka or gin ) try the recipe and if I like it I'll get a bigger bottle to have. And ChefJune, how long is quite a while. A year? More than that?
Just be careful you don't buy anything that is labeled "cooking wine." That stuff is inferior wine that's loaded up with salt! You are paying top dollar for something that otherwise would be flushed down the toilet.

I don't know for certain how long vermouth will keep in your liquor closet, because mine gets such a workout that it doesn't usually last more than a couple of months (and that's the 1.5 liter bottle!)

Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:21 AM   #32
Senior Cook
Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
jeninga 75 et all,
I have a couple of vermouth bottles that have been stored for more than a year.
I was curious and tasted it today, the stuff it is just fine. Same goes for similar liquors such as Pernod, Jaggermeister, etc. (I guess they are all variations of the same idea)

I don't use wine-in-a-box. If I do, my parents would take my name off from their will LOL

"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are" Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:33 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
I don't use wine-in-a-box. If I do, my parents would take my name off from their will LOL
I am fairly passionate about the wine I drink and don't want to unload a cup of it into whatever I am cooking. And that's not saying I pay a lot per bottle (it helps that I get it at cost though) but I'm still not unloading into my food...oh wait...there was that time I opened a $100 bottle of port and used it in a recipe - ok - that blows that theory... Wine in a box is GREAT wine to cook with!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:55 PM   #34
Senior Cook
I will definitely have to remember about boxed wine next time, thank you! I like to keep Vermouth and Marsala wine on hand for cooking. They hold up really well. I recently added a bottle of Madeira wine but I'm thinking maybe that's redundant to the Marsala?

CAB Cooks
plumies is offline   Reply With Quote