"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 01-29-2011, 05:32 AM   #31
Head Chef
Pretty much strictly a web searcher. About the only book I use any more is the Ball Blue Book, just to make sure I don't kill anyone with my canned goods.

I recently participated on another board in a similar discussion about books in general. Some people keep every book that comes into their hands--not me. I have limited shelf space--when I find piles of books on the floor and bedside table and on the windowsills, I know it is time to set them free into the world so someone else can read them.

I have a Sony eReader, that is stuffed with free classics from the web, I take out four or five books from the library every week, I buy books from the thrift store and share books with my family, so I read plenty--but the book itself is not sacred. It is just a way to get ideas from the author's head into mine. So, I read them, I return them to the library, the thrift store or their owners. If I want to read them again, I find them again.

I guess I keep my library out in the world. Saves dusting.

I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:38 AM   #32
Head Chef
Back when I was a serious garage/estate sale shopper, when I had more space, I always looked for those spiral-bound regional/church/sorority fund-raising recipe books that someone already mentioned. They accumulated pretty fast and I had a lot of them - they were fun and interesting reading, partly because of the various names given to the same set of ingredients. But I seldom used recipes from them and have since donated most of them. I still have my Joy of Cooking from the 60's and refer to it for methods occasionally and can't imagine not having it. Most of the other regulation paperback cookbooks (like "Fresh Fish" and that sort of thing) haven't been touched in a long time. Guess I should donate them, too, since I tend to use the easier, faster 'Net for day to day searches. I've copied & pasted (and used) a bunch of good-sounding DC recipes onto Word docs.

Technically Not Cookbooks department:

All those old newspaper clippings that I go through mostly around Christmas time - I really should toss them - some of them are from the 80's and I haven't tried them yet. I guess part of that is sentimental since they're from lots of different places - St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake, for example.

Also, I like to try dishes from the light fiction mysteries that have recipes incorporated in them - those make a round trip to/from the library, but they're "my cookbooks" for 3 weeks.

No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:54 AM   #33
Executive Chef
I have been into French Cooking for the last few years and have experimented and attempted many, fairly involved, recipes. I have been fortunate enough to discover a few very good books, which discuss, techniques. It is handy to have the book right there on the counter while attempting something you aren`t very familiar with or new.
As much as I cook, and love cooking, every so often I don`t know what to have for dinner. I guess it is a good problem to have because we are very lucky to have such an abundance of good quality food in our country. I am very thankful for that. Usually, if I grab any book off of the shelf and leaf through it, I will come up with something in no time.
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #34
Executive Chef
Every week, when putting the grocery list together! Actual cookbooks, one we put together ourselves (mostly recipes from old BA issues) and current BA mags. If I can't find what I have in mind with those sources, the I'll go one line. Also if we see a recipe we would like to try on some show, then we hit the net.

CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote