"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-28-2007, 11:01 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't wash any raw meats, poultry of seafood. In light of the article GB linked, it seems inappropriate.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:13 AM   #22
Head Chef

I always wash poultry and fish, but just under cold running water then pat dry. I wouldn't think of eating poultry that hasn't been washed. I saw the troughs that are used for "washing" chickens and turkeys and it made me sick. No thanks. I wash!! Never beef, pork or lamb.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:42 AM   #23
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen
I always wash poultry and fish, but just under cold running water then pat dry. I wouldn't think of eating poultry that hasn't been washed. I saw the troughs that are used for "washing" chickens and turkeys and it made me sick. No thanks. I wash!! Never beef, pork or lamb.
Unless you are using soap or bleach, what are you really washing off? Sure you may get some visible things off (which I agree is not a bad thing), but it is still just as "contaminated" as before you rinsed it. It would be just like sticking your hands in dirt and then rinsing them under water. Are they really clean?
Old 07-29-2007, 10:00 AM   #24
Head Chef

"The USDA recommends that you do not rinse your meat. All it does is spread bacteria around your sink and anywhere else the water splashes."

I am confused. If washing spreads bacteria around the sink the process must be removing the bugs from the meat. That I would think is good. Maybe it is not necessary for slabs of meat that would be seared and therefore sterilized, but what about the inside of fowl? That is the place that I fear most germs will be hiding since that is the place the intestines come out of. And I would think that area does not get as hot as the outside of the bird during cooking.

If there are data that say do not wash your boids, I will be glad to review them.

But until then the chickens, ducks, pigeons, turkeys and the rest of the avian crew get washed.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:01 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Unless you are using soap or bleach, but are you really washing off? Sure you may get some visible things off (which I agree is not a bad thing), but it is still just as "contaminated" as before you rinsed it. It would be just like sticking your hands in dirt and then rinsing them under water. Are they really clean?
A good rub with Kosher salt and then a rinse shouldn't hurt
Old 07-29-2007, 10:10 AM   #26
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot

If there are data that say do not wash your boids, I will be glad to review them.
See post #11 for the data.

Quote:
I am confused. If washing spreads bacteria around the sink the process must be removing the bugs from the meat. That I would think is good.
You are removing bacteria, but you are not removing all of it so your meat is just as contaminated as it was prior to washing, but now everywhere that water hit is now also contaminated so your sink, anything in it, the backsplash, and anywhere the water splashed onto is now contaminated. If you have a bird that was infected with something nasty then you have just spread that nastiness all over the place (cross contamination) without making the meat any safer then if you had done nothing.

Rinsing the meat does not kill the nasties unless you use soap or bleach. Think of it like washing your hands. If you just worked on your car or in the garden or in your gutters, would you eat a piece of pizza after just running your hands under water? All that would do is remove any visible particular that could be removed by running water, but your hands would still be just as dirty as if you did not rinse them unless you used soap.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:12 AM   #27
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill
A good rub with Kosher salt and then a rinse shouldn't hurt
Unless in the process of rinsing you have water splash (which always happens no matter how careful you are) and you cross contaminate the area.

This is only an issue if you have meat that is contaminated, but if your meat does have nasties then running it under water could be dangerous.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:07 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
Exactly you need a good amount of exposure to germs and bacteria to keep your immunity up.I have friends that practically live in an autoclave they clean,clean constantly they get sick all the time especially when they travel.There is a theory that alot of people develop allergies and get sick alot because they are too clean and dont get enough exposure to germs and bacteria so they actually lose their natural immunities because they are not exposed enough.I believe this, as we rarely get sick we are by no means slobs but dont feel the need to disinfect every thing all the time. I think its just another marketing ploy to sell more products.
Couldn't agree more!
I find most of these recommendations (USDA or not) extreme. I also believe the reason is fear of liability suits on the first place.
The US is over sanitized which is more harmful in my opinion.
I grew up without refridgeration, still leave cooked meals on the stove all they and could list many things I still do that probably would friek some of you out.
Yet, never had food poisoning in my life (or anybody else in my family)
I just believe in common sence and don't listen to all the extreme stuff.
Do I wash meat? Most of the time yes.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:14 PM   #29
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitmondol
Couldn't agree more!
I find most of these recommendations (USDA or not) extreme. I also believe the reason is fear of liability suits on the first place.
The US is over sanitized which is more harmful in my opinion.
I grew up without refridgeration, still leave cooked meals on the stove all they and could list many things I still do that probably would friek some of you out.
Yet, never had food poisoning in my life (or anybody else in my family)
I just believe in common sence and don't listen to all the extreme stuff.
Do I wash meat? Most of the time yes.
I hear what you are saying and a lot of people will agree with you. The way I see it though, it is like driving without a seatbelt. You can drive without wearing a seatbelt for 50 years and never have an issue. That one time you get into an accident though is the time you will be wishing you had worn it. It is a simple bit of prevention that can save your life.

Are you going to get sick because you wash your meat or leave it on the counter to thaw? Most of the time the answer will be no, but that one time where the answer is yes you would be very sorry if you did not practice safe food handling.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:24 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I am confused. If washing spreads bacteria around the sink the process must be removing the bugs from the meat. That I would think is good. Maybe it is not necessary for slabs of meat that would be seared and therefore sterilized, but what about the inside of fowl? That is the place that I fear most germs will be hiding since that is the place the intestines come out of. And I would think that area does not get as hot as the outside of the bird during cooking.
Read further down on this page: Washing Food: Does it Promote Food Safety?

If you cook the poultry to an internal temperature of 165 degrees, then the bacteria inside and within it will be killed by the heat. The meat doesn't need to be exposed directly to the heat for the bacteria to be killed.