"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-04-2006, 12:32 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I always wash mine and spin it dry. We don't eat the large core of romaine so I have to take that out too. With baby romaine we eat all of it, but the other I use the upper part and the leaves. If you do wash the prewashed, you will see why it needs to be done. The only time I don't is if I make a sandwich and grab some baby spinach leaves or something like that to go on the sandwich.

Old 02-04-2006, 02:53 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I always wash my prewashed lettuce as well. I just don't trust someone else to do it right when I am the one eating it.

Old 02-04-2006, 04:18 PM   #13
Head Chef

Generally do not.

But then again one can put almost anything down my gullet without a bad effect.

Except for once, and I attribute that to baby eels I had in a Chinese restaurant. Spent one whole day ....., well, enough said.

If I wash the stuff, then I have to dry the stuff. So might as well just buy the veggies and make it myself.

Just my take on the thing. Have a great day.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:50 PM   #14
Master Chef

I should, but I usually don't. I'm not feeding any pregnant women or little children.

The thing I love about these bagged salads is that I can get such a wide variety of greens in one little bag. It would cost me a fortune to buy all that stuff, if I could find it. And then a lot of it would rot before we could use it.

It's a real labor saver, too. Once I get the entree fixed, HB finishes it up and makes bread and a salad to go with, while I take my bath. He's such a doll. All 6'2" and 275 pounds of him.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:37 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
Constance, i totally agree. i love all the lil field greens/lettuce mix/etc in the bagged salads, and don't have the $ or the fridge space to store 15 different types of greens...

anyway, i take a fresh salad to work *every day* for lunch...i just dont have the $ at all to buy lunch every day, and i find i have more variety with salads than with sandwitches or leftovers. one of the ways i have time to make lunch fresh every am is using these bagged salads or pre-shredded carrots and all, so i just slice up the peppers or mushrooms as needed. and after several years of doing this, without re-washing said veggies, i'm perfectly ok with not re-washing all that stuff.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:18 AM   #16
Master Chef

I only wash when I've left them too long and need to pick out stuff that is too old. I consider these bags to be the best invention since sliced bread. It amazes me that a dozen years ago I considered the salads at a little restaurant called the Trellis in Williamsburg to be so great, and now I can buy them in a bag. Sometimes we do make progress in life, and we certainly have in food!
Old 02-06-2006, 12:05 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Yes, yes, and yes.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:51 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
no... too lazy...
Old 02-07-2006, 11:08 PM   #19
Master Chef

The USDA, FSIS, and CDC have done studies and found that the pre-washed salads/greens are cleaner in most cases than home-washed greens. But, this is only talking about bacteria and dirt. There is a little more to the story - as I found out browsing around the USDA website.

"The mix may be treated with a processing aid composed of a chlorine-containing compound and/or an antioxidant or preservative during washing or before packaging. The package is made from special films that are selected to maintain a desired lower O2 and higher CO2 concentration than in air." ref

Due to some loopholes in the food packaging laws - a bag of greens can have been washed in one of those "processing aid compounds" and still be labeled as "All Natural" and/or "Preservative Free".

I would venture to guess that anyone who has a physical reaction to a "bagged" salad is probably having a reaction to whatever they used in the wash water before packaging. Washing again, at home, would probably wash off the offending ingredient.

Old 02-08-2006, 09:57 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

I use to buy the stuff in a bag all the time and then one day I smelled it. Now I can't stand it--even if I wash it again and spin it around in my salad spinner, I still can't stand it. I wish I had never smelled it because it was very convenient.