Do you wash your pre-washed lettuce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sadly I always find sand and bugs in pre-washed lettuce, even, so calle dtriple washed lettuce still has some junk in it. :(

I was just gonna say that the reason you see so many new bagged lettuce/greens on the shelf is because of the new bag technology that Michael mentioned.

IMO the new chemicals in the bag do have a bit of an odor to them.

I almost always wash mine.

I read all these stories about people finding wild animals of just about every species, from insects to amphibians, in their pre-washed salad greens. I have been using these bagged salads for over 5 years now, all different brands, different types of greens, and different size bags, and I have yet to find a prize in ANY of mine!

Caine said:
I read all these stories about people finding wild animals of just about every species, from insects to amphibians, in their pre-washed salad greens. I have been using these bagged salads for over 5 years now, all different brands, different types of greens, and different size bags, and I have yet to find a prize in ANY of mine!

Heehee.......:LOL:

I always wash salad greens, (bagged or not) in ice cold water.
I used to just swish it around in a sink full of water, then lay it out on a clean kitchen towel and blot dry with paper towels. (Almost always found a bit of sediment and small veg particles left in the bottom of the sink).Although I hate a one trick pony, I finally broke down and bought a K.A. brand salad spinner at the local warehouse club. Great time saver for about twenty bucks.

Caine said:
... I have yet to find a prize in ANY of mine ...

You simply haven't been looking, get a mignifine(spelling?) glass, get a very strong lamp and you'll see them crolling around.:LOL:

I've never seen any buggers in mine, but I do see bits of trash and debris so I wash til I don't see any.

I always give it a quick run under the tap in stainer, just to be certain. But I usually buy whole heads, and just turn to the bagged stuff when I need a fancier lettuce or if it's on sale :)

i think everyone needs a garden. there's been a few times that i've taken in greens, washed and spun them well, and still found a tiny critter, now covered in dressing trying to get out of my salad.

don't worry, they don't get far. creamy dressings really slow them down a good bit, and make them quite tasty...

j/k :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom