Do you wash your pre-washed lettuce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndreainDC

Assistant Cook
I seem to be fine with salad made from the prewashed lettuce in a bag as is, but my husband always seems to have a bad reaction to eating pre-washed lettuce that hasn't been washed again at home. Anyone else run into this or is he just super-sensitive? (Having grown up with some kitchen practices that make me wonder that he made it to adulthood, it seems strange he would be so susceptible to this particular thing...)

thanks. have learned to wash pre-washed again from experience, and it seems to have taken care of the issue. It makes it a little less a convenience food, but I love the greens/lettuce blends available, so I often choose these anyway. Was just curious if anyone else had run into this.

From things I have seen and read you should always re-wash those pre-washed greens. That being said, I never do :angel: I admit it, I can be lazy sometimes. That and the fact that neither I nor anyone I have fed has ever gotten sick has made me feel safe doing what I am doing, but I know it is not the safest practice.

AndreainDC said:
It makes it a little less a convenience food

i'll bet it makes breathing more convenient, tho. :)

if you wash a lot of lettuce, check out the oxo - good grips salad spinner. i use one for my garden lettuces: works great.

I always wash mine and spin it dry. We don't eat the large core of romaine so I have to take that out too. With baby romaine we eat all of it, but the other I use the upper part and the leaves. If you do wash the prewashed, you will see why it needs to be done. The only time I don't is if I make a sandwich and grab some baby spinach leaves or something like that to go on the sandwich.

I always wash my prewashed lettuce as well. I just don't trust someone else to do it right when I am the one eating it.:)

Generally do not.

But then again one can put almost anything down my gullet without a bad effect.

Except for once, and I attribute that to baby eels I had in a Chinese restaurant. Spent one whole day ....., well, enough said.

If I wash the stuff, then I have to dry the stuff. So might as well just buy the veggies and make it myself.

Just my take on the thing. Have a great day.

I should, but I usually don't. I'm not feeding any pregnant women or little children.

The thing I love about these bagged salads is that I can get such a wide variety of greens in one little bag. It would cost me a fortune to buy all that stuff, if I could find it. And then a lot of it would rot before we could use it.

It's a real labor saver, too. Once I get the entree fixed, HB finishes it up and makes bread and a salad to go with, while I take my bath. He's such a doll. All 6'2" and 275 pounds of him. :LOL:

Constance, i totally agree. i love all the lil field greens/lettuce mix/etc in the bagged salads, and don't have the $ or the fridge space to store 15 different types of greens...

anyway, i take a fresh salad to work *every day* for lunch...i just dont have the $ at all to buy lunch every day, and i find i have more variety with salads than with sandwitches or leftovers. one of the ways i have time to make lunch fresh every am is using these bagged salads or pre-shredded carrots and all, so i just slice up the peppers or mushrooms as needed. and after several years of doing this, without re-washing said veggies, i'm perfectly ok with not re-washing all that stuff.

I only wash when I've left them too long and need to pick out stuff that is too old. I consider these bags to be the best invention since sliced bread. It amazes me that a dozen years ago I considered the salads at a little restaurant called the Trellis in Williamsburg to be so great, and now I can buy them in a bag. Sometimes we do make progress in life, and we certainly have in food!

The USDA, FSIS, and CDC have done studies and found that the pre-washed salads/greens are cleaner in most cases than home-washed greens. But, this is only talking about bacteria and dirt. There is a little more to the story - as I found out browsing around the USDA website.

"The mix may be treated with a processing aid composed of a chlorine-containing compound and/or an antioxidant or preservative during washing or before packaging. The package is made from special films that are selected to maintain a desired lower O2 and higher CO2 concentration than in air." ref

Due to some loopholes in the food packaging laws - a bag of greens can have been washed in one of those "processing aid compounds" and still be labeled as "All Natural" and/or "Preservative Free".

I would venture to guess that anyone who has a physical reaction to a "bagged" salad is probably having a reaction to whatever they used in the wash water before packaging. Washing again, at home, would probably wash off the offending ingredient.

I use to buy the stuff in a bag all the time and then one day I smelled it. Now I can't stand it--even if I wash it again and spin it around in my salad spinner, I still can't stand it. I wish I had never smelled it because it was very convenient.

Back
Top Bottom