"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-26-2016, 09:54 PM   #91
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Do you wear an apron when cooking?

I usually wear my most elegant ratty tshirts from 1995 when I cook. No apron needed.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:48 PM   #92
Master Chef

Kay and Dawg!

I've never owned an apron - my mom never used one, I'm pretty sure my grandmas did, though. I'm in the put-on-an-old-Tshirt camp if I'm going to fry.

I've seen some funny and really cute aprons though, I might get one some day for fun.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:48 PM   #93
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMama View Post
Hell no! There are some days I may not even be wearing pants!
Old 08-26-2016, 10:55 PM   #94
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Actually, take a look at Trixie, my avatar......that's how I look when cooking.
You wouldn't if you were making a roux Nothing like a grease burn to send one hopping...........I like your avatar by the way and liked to say that's my twin sister.........
Old 08-26-2016, 10:56 PM   #95
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Hell no! There are some days I may not even be wearing pants!
At least now I know Im not the only one
Old 08-26-2016, 11:17 PM   #96
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Actually, take a look at Trixie, my avatar......that's how I look when cooking.

You look lovely, Kay. I too look like my avatar, though I put on a clean winter sweater for the pic.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:26 PM   #97
Chef Extraordinaire

Years ago when all my kids were small, I used to put on an apron when I was getting dressed in the morning. I had one that had three large pockets. Two on the bottom and one in the middle at top.

During the day as I would be cleaning the house, I would pickup and put items in the pockets. Later I would put them where they belonged. One day I got a call from the school. My daughter had been hurt. Fortunately the school was just around the corner. So I made a dash for the school forgetting I had my apron on. Sticking out of the pockets was a dirty face cloth, my oldest daughter's training bra, and some dirty boys underwear showing that they needed a lesson in how to use toilet paper to get the job done.

Need I say that not only was I embarrassed, but so was my daughter when the teacher pointed out her bra. I never forgot to remove it again if I was going to step outside my front door, even if it was only to call the kids in for their supper.

Do I wear an apron now? No. I don't even own one.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:34 PM   #98
Master Chef

Steve! larry! You guys!

If I'm wearing just-around-the-house clothes, nope. If I have going-out-in-public clothes on, mostly yes. There are times I think I can be neat and tidy...and then I go back to wearing an apron.

I have a large collection of my Mom's aprons. They are mostly half aprons for below the waist, with a couple of cobbler's aprons for just the torso. Since I tend to slop my top more than my bottom, I wear neither. I find a cobbler apron to be restricting (restrictive?).

Instead, I bought four aprons in various prints, all bib front, when we still had a mill and company store in town. Their 2nds shop sold things dirt cheap, and it was hard to find why it was labeled "2nd" in many cases. I use one of those aprons during warm weather. During the winter, or if I'm frying anything, I use one of Himself's old long-sleeve work shirts. That bib front isn't going to protect my arms from flying frying!

As far as hand-wiping goes, we have u-handles instead of pull nobs on our kitchen cabinets. I pull a towel through the handle on the fake-drawer panel right below the sink. It's right where I need it, and usually goes into the laundry once a "wet" meal is over.

What I have done with Mom's old aprons is tie them onto my antique clothes drying rack in the kitchen. It now holds old kitchen towels I use. I have also used them as valances in the window over my kitchen sink. Haven't used them that way in a while. Just might be time to mix it up a little again.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:03 AM   #99
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Years ago when all my kids were small, I used to put on an apron when I was getting dressed in the morning. I had one that had three large pockets. Two on the bottom and one in the middle at top.

During the day as I would be cleaning the house, I would pickup and put items in the pockets. Later I would put them where they belonged. One day I got a call from the school. My daughter had been hurt. Fortunately the school was just around the corner. So I made a dash for the school forgetting I had my apron on. Sticking out of the pockets was a dirty face cloth, my oldest daughter's training bra, and some dirty boys underwear showing that they needed a lesson in how to use toilet paper to get the job done.

Need I say that not only was I embarrassed, but so was my daughter when the teacher pointed out her bra. I never forgot to remove it again if I was going to step outside my front door, even if it was only to call the kids in for their supper.

Do I wear an apron now? No. I don't even own one.
oh, my, goodness.....I'm laughing out loud that is so funny!!!!!Does your daughter still talk to you????
Old 08-27-2016, 12:09 AM   #100
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
oh, my, goodness.....I'm laughing out loud that is so funny!!!!!Does your daughter still talk to you????
Yeah. She is married with two grown children of her own. Her daughter also laughed real hard when I told her the story.