Do you wear an apron when cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't wear an apron while cooking.:(

But I do wear one in the workshop if I'm wearing decent clothes and working with epoxy or other evil substances. :yuk:

But wearing one is not very often since I actually have no decent clothes and I'm like Pigpen from Peanuts :mrgreen: and have a cloud of filth following me at all times. ;)

We made carpets of old clothes , that couldnt be remade in to kids or doll clothes or into rags or something else useful and I am not even German.

We made carpets of old clothes , that couldnt be remade in to kids or doll clothes or into rags or something else useful and I am not even German.

I remember a particular lime green bedspread (chenille).......it went from being a bedspread to curtains, to a sofa cover, to then dust rags all withing a span of 10 years........that was my German-heritage grandmother.......and since I was a slob with tissues (allergies) I had to hear "Debrah (German accent), there is a place for everything, and everything has its place"........I swear she is the one who made the line up:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I usually wear my most elegant ratty tshirts from 1995 when I cook. No apron needed.

:LOL: Kay and Dawg!

I've never owned an apron - my mom never used one, I'm pretty sure my grandmas did, though. I'm in the put-on-an-old-Tshirt camp if I'm going to fry.

I've seen some funny and really cute aprons though, I might get one some day for fun.

Actually, take a look at Trixie, my avatar......that's how I look when cooking.:ohmy::LOL:

You look lovely, Kay. I too look like my avatar, though I put on a clean winter sweater for the pic.

Last edited:
Years ago when all my kids were small, I used to put on an apron when I was getting dressed in the morning. I had one that had three large pockets. Two on the bottom and one in the middle at top.

During the day as I would be cleaning the house, I would pickup and put items in the pockets. Later I would put them where they belonged. One day I got a call from the school. My daughter had been hurt. Fortunately the school was just around the corner. So I made a dash for the school forgetting I had my apron on. Sticking out of the pockets was a dirty face cloth, my oldest daughter's training bra, and some dirty boys underwear showing that they needed a lesson in how to use toilet paper to get the job done.

Need I say that not only was I embarrassed, but so was my daughter when the teacher pointed out her bra. I never forgot to remove it again if I was going to step outside my front door, even if it was only to call the kids in for their supper.

Do I wear an apron now? No. I don't even own one. :angel:

Steve! larry! You guys! :LOL:

If I'm wearing just-around-the-house clothes, nope. If I have going-out-in-public clothes on, mostly yes. There are times I think I can be neat and tidy...and then I go back to wearing an apron.

I have a large collection of my Mom's aprons. They are mostly half aprons for below the waist, with a couple of cobbler's aprons for just the torso. Since I tend to slop my top more than my bottom, I wear neither. I find a cobbler apron to be restricting (restrictive?).

Instead, I bought four aprons in various prints, all bib front, when we still had a mill and company store in town. Their 2nds shop sold things dirt cheap, and it was hard to find why it was labeled "2nd" in many cases. I use one of those aprons during warm weather. During the winter, or if I'm frying anything, I use one of Himself's old long-sleeve work shirts. That bib front isn't going to protect my arms from flying frying!

As far as hand-wiping goes, we have u-handles instead of pull nobs on our kitchen cabinets. I pull a towel through the handle on the fake-drawer panel right below the sink. It's right where I need it, and usually goes into the laundry once a "wet" meal is over.

What I have done with Mom's old aprons is tie them onto my antique clothes drying rack in the kitchen. It now holds old kitchen towels I use. I have also used them as valances in the window over my kitchen sink. Haven't used them that way in a while. Just might be time to mix it up a little again.

Years ago when all my kids were small, I used to put on an apron when I was getting dressed in the morning. I had one that had three large pockets. Two on the bottom and one in the middle at top.

During the day as I would be cleaning the house, I would pickup and put items in the pockets. Later I would put them where they belonged. One day I got a call from the school. My daughter had been hurt. Fortunately the school was just around the corner. So I made a dash for the school forgetting I had my apron on. Sticking out of the pockets was a dirty face cloth, my oldest daughter's training bra, and some dirty boys underwear showing that they needed a lesson in how to use toilet paper to get the job done.

Need I say that not only was I embarrassed, but so was my daughter when the teacher pointed out her bra. I never forgot to remove it again if I was going to step outside my front door, even if it was only to call the kids in for their supper.

Do I wear an apron now? No. I don't even own one. :angel:

oh, my, goodness.....I'm laughing out loud that is so funny!!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Does your daughter still talk to you????

Back
Top Bottom