"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #61
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I have tons of aprons, mostly full coverage style. I've made them all and use vintage patterns dating to the '20s and '30s. I love them. I'm notorious for swiping my hands on my thighs, so my aprons keep my pants/slacks presentable. Buck loved my "grandma" aprons, as he called them.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:22 PM   #62
Head Chef

I really should get a few. I noticed the other night at work that I had what looked like a grease stain on my top. I was embarrassed. Yep, its apron time.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #63
Sous Chef

I got dh one for grilling on ebay, used. Denim. I also got one for myself recently, pretty pink stripes.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:01 PM   #64
Senior Cook

I wear one when I'm cooking with my granddaughter. I gave her two aprons as one of her Christmas presents last year, and she loves them. So, when we cook together, I don't want to feel left out by not wearing one. We really feel like we are a team when we wear our aprons.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #65
Assistant Cook

I don't wear one but I often think to myself, "I wish I had an apron". Now that I read "flirtyaprons.com" from one of the previous posts I must go shop:)
Old 05-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #66
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
I really should get a few. I noticed the other night at work that I had what looked like a grease stain on my top. I was embarrassed. Yep, its apron time.
Oh no! I know that feeling. Spotted one on my suit jacket right before a meeting right above the breast area but below the color bone a few months ago. A friend tried one of those little pre-packaged "Shouts" which made it into a giant wet circle. I had to slap a paper sticker name tage over it. How embarrasing indeed!
Old 05-06-2009, 01:19 AM   #67
Senior Cook

I used to wipe wet hands on my apron in my first kitchen and the chef would yell at me pretty good. I still wear an apron at work but only halfway, as in the waist and down. I tend to keep pretty clean at work since a few years back when I was a mess.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:19 AM   #68
Head Chef

Only if I am into marthon cooking.
I''' take a day and make barbque sauce, texas hot sauce, meatballs, lasagna soups, that is when Im restocking up the freezer. or when I'm doing alot of baking with flour.

I have 2 -- one that I made to match my grandkids aprons when they come over and my other was one of my grama 's. When she passed I received one of her aprons. That one I don't use that often it just hangs there to have grama in the kitchen with me
Old 05-06-2009, 06:58 AM   #69
Master Chef

The bane of my cooking (and laundry) existence. I have several great aprons, but I simply forget to wear them, and wind up doing extra pre-treating on any solid-colored shirt I own for either grease spots (you'd think I fry a lot of food looking at my shirts, but I really don't, I just manage to splatter a lot when I do) or tomato sauces (which I DO do a lot,and when those tomato bubbles pop, guess who's standing right in front of them?). I am getting better at putting on an apron, but still mostly forget.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #70
Sous Chef

I don't wear apron when cooking, but I have few old dresses, that I wear when cooking (you will always find a spot of grease or some patch on your dress when cooking Indian food) so I don't have to worry about stains.

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote