Do you wear an apron when cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoMama

Senior Cook
:chef: QUESTIONS :chef:

Do you wear an apron when cooking?

If so, how many do you think you own?

And ... do you have a favorite?

Nope, but if I had a waist apron I might, if it had pockets.
I do toss a towel over my shoulder, does that count?
I own (as in they are packed in a chest somewhere) a dozen or so aprons, all little frilly flimsy things from the 1950s.
They look more like "Lets play French Maid in the bedroom" aprons
than real cooking aprons, but I vaguely remember Mom wearing them in the kitchen, so....

Sometimes. It depends. If I'm wearing something nice, yes. If what I'm wearing is dangerously awash in cat and dog har, yes. Otherwise, I don't really think of it. My favorite apron is the one my friend brought me from the FBI academy. It's not really intended for cooking, but it gives people the right idea when they come into my kitchen!

I only wear an apron when I'm baking, because I can get a bit random with the flour and the apron helps keep it off my clothing. When I was still living in California, my wife and I took a number of weekend classes at the California Culinary Academy. They gave us one of their aprons for each class - one of the perks of paying a lot for one day of instruction. The classes were worth it though. Instructive and a lot of fun. They're nice aprons with a lot of coverage. They're my favorites. They're also the only ones I have.

I only wear an apron when I wear white trousers. I have several, but only ever use one. What I do while cooking is tuck a kitchen towel into one of my pockets for drying my hands as I cook and wash my hands, I never worry about spilling food on my clothes. I change my clothes if they are smart and wear jeans.

Most of the time I'll wear an apron while cooking. I just got a super cute one (from flirtyaprons.com) for my birthday last year so I love wearing it!) Besides that one, my mom gave me one my grandma had made and I also have a waist apron that used to be my grandma's. My fav (of course) is my new one! : )

I own 3 and yes, I do wear them when cooking..........my gramma must have owned 20 or more.....we came home from church on Sundays and she'd change into a housedress (that's what she called it) and on went the apron and then the most fantastic fried chicken would come out of her tiny kitchen........we bought her a beautiful frilly, lacy frou-frou apron and she'd proudly wear that when she worked at the church.......she loved it.........

It depends. If I'm wearing semi good clothes I'll put one on. If I'm in my hanging around the house clothes no. If I'm doing an all day marathon baking session in the kitchen (like at Christmas), I'll put one on. I don't have a favorite. I bought 3 apron pack of chef aprons at Sam's and use one of those.

Sorry I don't wear an apron. I usually cook in my birthday suit.

I wear one more often than not - I do a lot of sauteeing when I cook, and it took me a while, but I finally realized that the stains on my after-work clothes were oil spatters. I usually wear one that DH bought me one that has what looks like drawings of various veggies and their names printed on it. I think I have 5 or 6 altogether - one I got from my grandmother's kitchen after she died, one from the Florida Keys with fish and coral painted on it, one solid green one from when I worked in the dining commons in college (you should have seen the mess I made of fried eggs!), one that one of our exchange students gave me with the colors of the German flag - I think that's it.

Yes, I wear aprons, have at least 15 - some are seasonal, some are old favorites I even have one with grand kids pictures on it. must have pockets- and I have a towel over my shoulder - no matter what.

OUCH! Do you ever saute??? I wouldn't be able to stand by the stove! Hope you're kidding :LOL:

I pray he's kidding. Just the thought sent shivers.

I just got a denim one when I signed up for Pampered Chef but I haven't worn it. It doesn't make sense to me because it will get extremely dirty if you work with any kind of flour.

And GG, I know what you mean about the mystery stains ending up oil, or in my case there was also red sauces which is why I asked for an apron for my birthday. I got one so I try and wear it when I remember. I'm tired of having clothes I can only wear in the house because of the stains.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pray he's kidding. Just the thought sent shivers.

Well sometimes I wear PJs. I dunno never thought of my apparel while cooking. So it is possible. I have before but don't really walk around nude like I use to. Keep in mind I haven't cooked much.

I grew up in the kitchen with my mom and aunts, and always wore one, so I still do. I developed the habit of wiping my wet hands on the skirt of the apron, so if I'm not wearing one, I often end up with wet clothes. I am also a big flour-spreader, and the apron at least keeps it off of me.

In a professional kitchen, I wear an apron over my whites.

I buy them in bulk at the restaurant supply. They are all plain white waiters' aprons, except for the two I got in classes at Le Cordon Bleu in Paris.

I grew up in the kitchen with my mom and aunts, and always wore one, so I still do. I developed the habit of wiping my wet hands on the skirt of the apron, so if I'm not wearing one, I often end up with wet clothes. I am also a big flour-spreader, and the apron at least keeps it off of me.

In a professional kitchen, I wear an apron over my whites.

I buy them in bulk at the restaurant supply. They are all plain white waiters' aprons, except for the two I got in classes at Le Cordon Bleu in Paris.

You went to Le Cordon Bleu??!! That's been my dream!

I own two aprons - one printed with a veggie pattern; the other just plain pristine white. I only wear them when I'm cooking for company though.

Yes I wear an apron if I'm cooking on the hob, but not if in the oven, unless it's something that might spit at me. I have a blue & white stripped apron.

Back
Top Bottom