"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-09-2006, 03:27 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Freezer Cooking A-la-Carte

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanson
Just curious if anyone did "once a month cooking" or "freezer cooking". ........anyone give some advice on how this works for them (and how to get motivated to actually do it!!)
Absolutly! I can attest Freezer Cooking is a great art for anyone who must eat!
As a single, older, professional man, I have one dish which I make better than anyone else. Chili ! I make the very best chili of anyone. Even if it is an opinion. And it has worked for my "Freezer Cooking", even after, I retired.
Chili flavor improves with freezing. When I was working, the pint-sized, Glad resealable containers made the perfect means for the "Brown-Bag" lunch. Removing one from the freezer, "Nuking" directly to bubbly run over hot still allows me a great lunch during the busiest of times.
Anyone who cooks can begin Freezer Cooking by simply choosing a dish to make in large quantity, yet thaws into the "ready" or "near-ready" dish. The benefits of Freezer Cooking can be tremendous, whether they be time savings, convenience, flavor or all of the above.
I still do the Freezer Cooking with my chili for the "all of the above" part.

Old 01-09-2006, 06:11 PM   #12
Hospitality Queen

So, Chatwon, I'm curious -
would you share your chili recipe?

I've frozen chili too - I love having a gallon or two of it already ready!

Old 01-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
So, Chatwon, I'm curious -
would you share your chili recipe?

I've frozen chili too - I love having a gallon or two of it already ready!
Well...lets see...
I use a Kroger chili mix, all Dark Red Kidney beans, the absolute mininum of meat grease and garlic. I use Greek Pepperoncini, (pickled), fresh serano and bell peppers.
I never use whole tomatoes, tomato catsup, tomato paste or Oregano. But, I always use extra chili power, flour, vinegar, cayenne pepper, cumin, mustard, No-Salt salt and atificial sweetner.
Of course my secret ingredient is practice. By tailoring all ingredients for your own taste buds and "Freeze Cooking" untill you get it right, you too can have "The Worlds Best Recipe X" for yourself.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:05 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Red face Monthly cooking and freezing ahead

jkath,
Your cooking day sounds interesting. My daughter and I have been kicking the idea of doing a month's cooking in one day. She bought me a roaster/cooker and I've made Chili in it and placed in freezer bags and they really came in handy this winter. Yes, the flavor of chili improves with freezing! I've also read on what freezes good and what don't, If you have any good suggestions, they would very helpful.

Thanks
jeanniesue
Old 07-31-2006, 05:06 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I have a DH who abhors travel and I love it. I have had the opportunity to accompany family members to europe eight times now, ie, they pay for it! My DH does no cooking, except for his morning oatmeal. Several years ago when I was to be gone for three weeks for a trip to Eastern Europe, I bought a book titled, Frozen Assets, how to cook for a day and eat for a month, by Deborah Taylor-Hough. This book is exactly what the original poster described. The book is quite extensive on how to go about this method with a good range of recipes, all kinds of advice, meal planning, shopping lists. I discovered this book while hanging out on another food forum that was specifically devoted to this batch freezer cooking. I have used this cookbook with good results, it was handy to have full recipes, directions and a nice variety.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:25 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
i love freezer cooking I make dessertsand freeze.. Like crumbles etc.

For main meals Spaghetti sauce, Chili, Curries stews, lasagnas, Meat mix for sheppards pie (just add potato)

my husband loves Fish pie, Chicken stirfrys etc when i go out of town he doesnt starve :)
Old 07-31-2006, 07:33 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
I used to cook for freezing all the time. I'd pick a dish or two and make as much as my pans would hold. Lots of pasta, sauce and rice. I'll be going back to that this fall, when my wife goes back to work.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:30 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Sometimes we do a schnizathon, all prepped schnitzels separated by cling film. So you just take out easily as required. It has always proved handy.