Does anyone else eat parts of fruit and veg that people usually throw away?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
Papaya is in season in South Africa at the moment and I'm taking full advantage. I love them. I eat them with seeds and all, the peppery flavor is delicious!
I also eat beetroot leaves cooked like spinach, roasted pumpkin with the seeds, hubbard squash and butternut skins etc.
I'm I nuts? If anyone else likes eating or cooking with similar things please let me know. I would love some new ideas.

Last edited:
I don't eat the skins from winter squash, but I do eat the papaya seeds, beet leaves, pumpkin seeds. I am kicking myself I didn't know that I could make corncob jelly--I threw the cobs in the compost heap--not going to happen next year. Supposedly corncob jelly tastes similar to honey.

I don't eat the skins from winter squash, but I do eat the papaya seeds, beet leaves, pumpkin seeds. I am kicking myself I didn't know that I could make corncob jelly--I threw the cobs in the compost heap--not going to happen next year. Supposedly corncob jelly tastes similar to honey.

Good to know I'm not the only one that likes using as much as possible from my produce! I'll have to Google corncob jelly, sounds interresting. We make a tea from cornsilk but I usually just use corncobs for veggie stock or soup. A few carrot leaves are nice in soups too but use sparingly, they have a very strong flavor.Young raddish leaves are tasty in salad and steamed with garlic butter. I love adding Arugula flowers and Nasturtiums to salad too. They look pretty and taste good!

Last edited:
I like to zest and/or candy all my citrus fruits and use the peel up that way

Watermelon rind pickles.

Crisp cabbage core.

Baked potato skins.

Beet greens.

I have never heard of anyone eating the skin from a blue hubbard or butternut squash, they are similar to linoleum. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

How do you prepare them?

Watermelon rind pickles.

Crisp cabbage core.

Baked potato skins.

Beet greens.

I have never heard of anyone eating the skin from a blue hubbard or butternut squash, they are similar to linoleum. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

How do you prepare them?

I eat all of the above too!
I peel the hubbard squash thickly (only unblemished skins from freshly picked squash) then I boil the skins for about 20 mins, then add 1 chopped onion and about 4 chopped potatoes. Once it's all tender just strain and mash with butter, salt and pepper. Delicious!
Butternuts I halve, take out the seeds then drizzle with garlic butter. Place in a roasting dish covered with foil and bake till tender. The skins soften up nicely and taste great when eaten with the squash.

Aunt Bea said:
Watermelon rind pickles.

Crisp cabbage core.

Baked potato skins.

Beet greens.

How do you prepare them?

How are watermelon pickles? Been dying to try

I eat the stems of most calciferous veggies, such as cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, etc. The stems are cut into rounds and steamed until tender. They are my favorite parts. I also love the stems from artichokes. It's the same flavor and texture as the heart.

I use the little leaves from celery stalks like an herb, to flavor soups, stews, and such. They're also delicious in salads. I love nasturtium leaves and flowers in salads. Pumpkin and squash blossoms are incredible, either stuffed, and baked, or breaded and fried. Yum. And we do clean the pumpkin seeds, salt them, and bake them.

As for odd things, unlike many people, I love to take the skins from poultry, and render out the fat until they are crisp and brown. Salt them lightly and drain on paper towels. Pork skin is also great for this purpose. So very tasty, and most of the fat is in the pan.

Snip, been meaning to say, welcome back. I'll tell P.A.G. your back. She told me that she missed ya. I know we all did.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I eat the stems of most calciferous veggies, such as cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, etc. The stems are cut into rounds and steamed until tender. They are my favorite parts. I also love the stems from artichokes. It's the same flavor and texture as the heart.

I use the little leaves from celery stalks like an herb, to flavor soups, stews, and such. They're also delicious in salads. I love nasturtium leaves and flowers in salads. Pumpkin and squash blossoms are incredible, either stuffed, and baked, or breaded and fried. Yum. And we do clean the pumpkin seeds, salt them, and bake them.

As for odd things, unlike many people, I love to take the skins from poultry, and render out the fat until they are crisp and brown. Salt them lightly and drain on paper towels. Pork skin is also great for this purpose. So very tasty, and most of the fat is in the pan.

Snip, been meaning to say, welcome back. I'll tell P.A.G. your back. She told me that she missed ya. I know we all did.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks Chief :)
Missed you all just as much! I'll try your suggestions too, they all sound good as always!

How are watermelon pickles? Been dying to try

They are sweet and spicy.

My grandmother always made them because she did not like to waste anything.

They were always on our table for Thanksgiving.

If you want to try them the Old South brand is available on line and in stores.

The homemade ones are better but, it is a sticky mess to make them! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I eat all of the above too!
I peel the hubbard squash thickly (only unblemished skins from freshly picked squash) then I boil the skins for about 20 mins, then add 1 chopped onion and about 4 chopped potatoes. Once it's all tender just strain and mash with butter, salt and pepper. Delicious!
Butternuts I halve, take out the seeds then drizzle with garlic butter. Place in a roasting dish covered with foil and bake till tender. The skins soften up nicely and taste great when eaten with the squash.

Snip, I will give it a try but, I am not convinced yet! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Snip 13 said:
They are really good! Great on buttered toast. My kids eat them out of the syrup most of the time then I end up using the syrup for pancakes.

They are sweet!? I always imagined bribed and salty....

Snip, I will give it a try but, I am not convinced yet! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

As long as the skins are fresh they soften beatifully. Don't use a pumpkin that was picked too long ago. The skins toughen with time. My kids prefer the skins cooked with potato and onion over the actual squash!

Back
Top Bottom