"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-25-2009, 04:57 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
That's about as concise of an explanation as your can get, FincaPerlitas!

Rose water is essentially nothing more than the essential oil, extracted by one of several methods, from the rose petals and water.

1star - depending on the cuisine and the dishes you cook, rose water isn't used that often.
****! Looks like I got ripped off. lol!

Old 02-27-2009, 10:40 AM   #12
Cook

I've found it in the ethnic aisle in both my local Whole Foods and in my local less-upscale supermarkets, but the best prices for it definitely come from ethnic shops such as Middle Eastern or Indian stores. Amazon.com also sells it, but at a higher price. I use the stuff constantly. While it's mostly used for sweet dishes now, I've used it in savory applications as well.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:53 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Man...this stuff is pretty strong. I didn't know how much half a teaspoon was, I only had a 1/4 tablespoon. I used a full spoon of that, and it looked like it was really little, so I sprayed more into the mixture. I guess now I know when they say it use so little cuz its strong I should stick with that...

I'm pretty sure the overdose of rose water wasn't the only thing that killed it though...
Old 03-03-2009, 07:13 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Yes you only need a drop or two of the stuff. It can be very over powering. I have done the same mistake several times.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StarRestaurant View Post
Man...this stuff is pretty strong. I didn't know how much half a teaspoon was, I only had a 1/4 tablespoon. I used a full spoon of that, and it looked like it was really little, so I sprayed more into the mixture. I guess now I know when they say it use so little cuz its strong I should stick with that...

I'm pretty sure the overdose of rose water wasn't the only thing that killed it though...
I'm sorry it didn't turn out well for you, but hopefully you learned something from the effort. I just took a look at Giada's recipe, which I assume is the one you used. It's actually sort of a novelty recipe, not really something I would have suggested for a beginning cook.

My suggestion is that you concentrate of learning basic mainstream techniques and recipes first. I'd stay away from the Food Network recipes altogether until you have a little more experience. You'll rarely find basic, straight forward recipes from celebrity chefs/cooks. They all try to be "original" with their interpretations and frequently call for exotic ingredients (such as rosewater). Some of the recipes are great, but until you have a little more experience it's hard to know which ones.
"Iím going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Iím going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember ó itís always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youíre on your own." - James Beard
FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #16
Head Chef

I don't know where you are, 1Star, but if you ever get to NYC, go to Kalustyan's. Anything exotic I want, they have. I bought rosewater for, well, not sure/not much, and it's lasted me for several years so far.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:48 PM   #17
Master Chef

1StarRestaurant - first off, you do need to make sure - health food store or not - that the "rose water" you purchased was meant to be consumed. Health food & other stores sell many "essential oils" that are not meant for consumption - just for infusing potpourri & solid incense burners. There's a HUGE difference.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #18
Cook

Even the low-end supermarkets near me carry rosewater in the "ethnic" section. Look near the Middle Eastern or Indian products. Alternatively, any Indian, Middle Eastern or Greek market near you should carry it. I like Cortas brand.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
1Star - measuring is important - but, I guess you found that out! More is not always better.

I totally disagree with staying away from Food Network recipes or any other recipe. The only way to learn to cook is by trying new things. Just because a recipe has an exotic ingredient it doesn't mean it's a "hard" recipe. Just look at the ingredients, read the instructions, decide if it's something you want to tackle. If you understand all the methods of cooking then I say go for it!!! There's no better way to learn and up your game. If you don't understand something look it up or ask. When you search on Google always remember to look at the Images - visuals are always good!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #20
Master Chef

I fully agree with Kitchenelf!!! I try any & every recipe that looks/sounds appealing to me, regardless of the source. If I think I can do it & will enjoy it - I go for it. Unless you're working with really uber-pricey ingredients, what have you got to lose?

One Xmas, which would be special in that it would be the last one where my whole family was together, I wanted to make a really special dessert. This was back when Martha Stewart had just begun putting out a few cookbooks & hadn't yet started to build her empire. Anyway, even though unbelievably intimidated & sure I'd fail, I made her recipe for "Crocembouche", which consists of 75 homemade miniature creampuffs filled with homemade chocolate rum cream, stacked in a Xmas tree/pyramid shape with homemade caramel, & covered with a halo of homemade golden spun sugar. It took me two days to make the darn thing, but boy, was it SPECTACULAR. Folks at that party (which was, gee - about 20 years ago?) still talk about it.

The gist of what I'm saying is - very little in cooking isn't worth trying.