"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-28-2016, 04:52 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

You're welcome I look forward to hearing about your results.

Old 05-07-2016, 05:18 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Chief is correct - you want masa harina. I have Maseca.

I made them once. The most difficult part is getting them the right thickness. It's really easy to press them too thin. However, since corn has no gluten, you can roll them into a ball and press them again. I have the same press shown in the video. It was $20 or so on Amazon.

This page has directions and a video showing how to do it: Rick Bayless | Corn Tortillas
Thanks for posting this video... Rick Bayless is a good teacher and obviously knows his Mexican cooking.

I was hoping I could make my own tortillas (for my food truck where I'll be serving fish tacos) but I know now that there is no way I'd be able to keep up. Looks like a slow process... bummer, because imagine the look on people's faces when I told them that we made them here... IN THIS TRUCK!

RD

Old 05-07-2016, 07:18 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

He lived in several places in Mexico for many years studying the food and culture. He originally trained as an anthropologist.

You can make corn tortillas in advance, freeze uncooked and cook them from frozen. Are you going to be running the food truck by yourself or will you have help? Cooking them would be a good job for a helper.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:26 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Chief is correct - you want masa harina. I have Maseca.

I made them once. The most difficult part is getting them the right thickness. It's really easy to press them too thin. However, since corn has no gluten, you can roll them into a ball and press them again. I have the same press shown in the video. It was $20 or so on Amazon.

This page has directions and a video showing how to do it: Rick Bayless | Corn Tortillas
Just a passing thought. To get around the thickness consistency problem, could you roll the dough through a pasta machine? You would lose some of the perfect roundness. But then you don't have to buy an extra tool (if you already have a pasta roller), and you get the exact same thickness every time.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:43 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

I do make them. I have a very nice cast iron tortilla press. They're really easy to make so it's no trouble to quickly make some. I have to say that I haven't ever been 100 percent happy with them but they do taste good.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:53 PM   #16
Master Chef

I was so hung over from a wedding we attended the night before so we headed over to this nearby Mexican Cafe in Old Town San Diego Saturday morning and had a large bowl of menudo. We sat at a booth next to a small team of women making corn and flour tortillas over this huge comal. That teppan must have been at least a five by five feet hunk of steel plate. The tortillas were just awesome...
Old 05-22-2016, 11:19 PM   #17
Executive Chef

My neighborhood is mostly Latino, so there are a number of tortilla bakeries where I can shop, which makes it impossible to justify buying a tortilla press.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:21 PM   #18
Master Chef

I found these corn tortillas in the dairy case at a local grocery store. All I had to do was grill them in my CI pan and we had decent, fresh ones for tonight's tortillas. The package of 14 was around $3.50, so a little over 20 cents each. Way better than the shelf-stable variety!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-22 22.45.38.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	24804  
Old 05-23-2016, 12:15 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I found these corn tortillas in the dairy case at a local grocery store. All I had to do was grill them in my CI pan and we had decent, fresh ones for tonight's tortillas. The package of 14 was around $3.50, so a little over 20 cents each. Way better than the shelf-stable variety!
I'm going to have to look for those.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:23 AM   #20
Master Chef

Check Kroger's. It looks like they might have them there. Tortillaland

When I started making them, the first one or two were a pain. I swore I'd never buy them again. They told you to put it on the hot pan for 10 seconds, flip and cook another 30 seconds, then flip back to the first side for 20 seconds. My pan was hot, maybe too hot? Anyway, after I played with the heat and cooled the pan with the cool tortilla, I found it worked best to flop them on the CI, wait about 25-30 seconds, then flip. Right away it would start to puff up in places. Cool beans! As soon as the puffing seemed to stop (maybe 15-20 seconds?) I flipped again for just a little bit longer. Basically, I cooked them until the darker "raw" parts were gone and there was a little smattering of brown spots on the torilla.

By the time I was done after frying six of them, I had gotten the hang of it. They were so good even Himself noticed! I would buy them again, but I'll still cheat with the ones off the grocery shelves when I want something quick and ready.

Tags
tortillas, homemade