"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-26-2016, 08:39 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Does anyone make homemade tortillas?

I lived in Mexico for 4 years. Every afternoon I would go to the tortiarila and buy a half lb of freshly made tortillas. They were delicious. Nothing like the crap I find here in the supermarket. I have 'bout given up on Mexican food because I can't get decent tortillas.

I was told once it was because the corn was different. I'm quite sure it was the same corn that was grown to feed animals. It was most certainly not highly refined corn flour.

I would like to try to make my own. I have found a tortilla press on line that has good reviews. Bob's Red Mill has Masa Harina. I don't think that's what I'm looking for. I want something rustic.

I'd appreciate it if someone here could help me find the texture and full bodied flavor I'm yearning for.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:49 AM   #2
Master Chef

Masa Harina is indeed what you want to use to make corn Tortillas. Maseca brand is good and can be found in most grocery stores. I did like the flavor of Quaker brand Masa Harina better. It was more like the wonderful flavor of the fresh tortillas that I could get in San Diego at the tortilla factory in Old Town. Both brands made very good tamales as well, and are cheaper than Bob's Red Mill products.

Good presses are hard to come by. I hope you find one that works really well.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:35 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Cook's Illustrated tortilla press review

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/equ...rtilla-presses
Old 04-27-2016, 08:40 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Chief is correct - you want masa harina. I have Maseca.

I made them once. The most difficult part is getting them the right thickness. It's really easy to press them too thin. However, since corn has no gluten, you can roll them into a ball and press them again. I have the same press shown in the video. It was $20 or so on Amazon.

This page has directions and a video showing how to do it: http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/corn-tortillas/
Old 04-27-2016, 03:57 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
I lived in Mexico for 4 years. Every afternoon I would go to the tortiarila and buy a half lb of freshly made tortillas. They were delicious. Nothing like the crap I find here in the supermarket. I have 'bout given up on Mexican food because I can't get decent tortillas.

I was told once it was because the corn was different. I'm quite sure it was the same corn that was grown to feed animals. It was most certainly not highly refined corn flour.

I would like to try to make my own. I have found a tortilla press on line that has good reviews. Bob's Red Mill has Masa Harina. I don't think that's what I'm looking for. I want something rustic.

I'd appreciate it if someone here could help me find the texture and full bodied flavor I'm yearning for.
What you may have been used to in Mexico may have been masa made from scratch starting with the dried corn.

Mexico in my Kitchen: How to Make Corn Masa / Cómo Hacer Tu Propia Masa de Maíz|Authentic Mexican Food Recipes Traditional Blog
Old 04-27-2016, 04:29 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I'm sure you are right. I've watched a couple of videos. It's a lot of work to make them from scratch. One would think with the large Mexican community in my area there would be a tortilleria but there is not.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:04 PM   #7
Head Chef

Tortillas made on a large scare are a lot cheaper than the ones made from scratch on a small scale with quality products.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:11 PM   #8
Head Chef

The flour tortillas here in Sonora are also a lot better than the ones in the US.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:45 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I came across this article today - all about making tortillas from scratch including nixtamalizing the corn: http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/04/h...m-scratch.html
Old 04-28-2016, 04:17 PM   #10
Senior Cook

This is the third time I have tried to thank you on this tread. If I post and it tells me that my token has expired I'll have to PM you my thanks.

This I can do. I am going to wait until I get my new stove but I will do it and report back. I also found out that I can freeze what I will not be using right away.

Thank you very much. A new world had opened to me.

Tags
tortillas, homemade