Does anyone pre-make carmelized onions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
Does any one make a big batch of carmelized onions and than store them in freezer for later use? Just wondering if it would be ever worth doing this. What do you use your carmelized onions for? I know I've used it on pizza before and right now I'm making some sour cream dip for chips.

You could just about use them in anything! Yum! soup, meats, mashed potatoes, green beans, etc...

Is it actually worth making them and freezing them in batches. I mean the whole process really only takes an hour or so.

Yes, they last longer if you can get them to the freezer. Mine usually get used up in a couple of days.

...i just served them yesterday on Bratwurst along with carmelized "stoplight" bell peppers (red&yellow&green). I was wondering if I could make them ahead of time but was afraid to so did them at the last minute. This thread is helpful...thank you.

...i like your avatar, legend

I've made them ahead of time & kept them in the fridge, but have never frozen them except as a component of leftover French Onion Soup. My only concern would be that the texture would suffer, but since I've never done it, can only guess re: that.

I agree, the flavor will be there, but it would end up more like a caramelized onion paste. which would be nice for those that don't like the texture of onions but love the flavor (like my husband).

Breezy and Wyogal are right. Onions, whether cooked or raw, do not freeze well. The loose their flavour and texture. If you have a pile of onions that you want to use up, just find a cool, dry, dark, well vented place to store them and experiment on how you can use them up!

...i just served them yesterday on Bratwurst along with carmelized "stoplight" bell peppers (red&yellow&green). I was wondering if I could make them ahead of time but was afraid to so did them at the last minute. This thread is helpful...thank you.

...i like your avatar, legend

Thanks!! : )

Back
Top Bottom