"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I used to cook for one, now I cook for two. I've always been able to cook for 8.
a if you are making chili or spaghetti sauce or soup, does it really matter? Make what you want and freeze portions for later.
b buy appropriately. leg of lamb for two? probaly not but really nice loin chops, yes.
use those 8" skillets and those 1 qt pots
be creative with your leftovers. that pork roast with veg becomes a stew or soup as well as sandwiches or a salad.
tonight I am having chicken salad sandwiches from left over roasted chicken. I am also having a cup of soup made from broth from the carcass and the leftover veg. nothing wasted and it all tastes wonderful.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

+1 on the smaller pots and pans. I rarely pull my large saute pan out anymore. The 3.5 qt does just fine and helps me limit the amount of food I'm putting in it.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #13
Everymom

Its all about your thought process. You can easily scale back recipes you love. Don't worry about having enough for a surprise guest or two. I'm thinking if you had to cook for an army you're probably a pro at stretching a meal! Also, like Aunt Bea says, there's always take out!
Old 09-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #14
Master Chef

There are lots of us who cook for two Sherry, and you've already heard some great ideas that I also use. My husband isn't big on sandwiches for lunch so leftovers are generally welcome here.

Jabbor said,
Quote:
Some things are hard to cut in half like lasagna.
I've discovered that making lasagna in a loaf pan will give you a nice high lasagna like we used to make for a crowd in a big lasagna pan. The first piece is a little tricky to get out, but it's tricky in a big pan too.

I also often make good use of my little individual casseroles for the two of us, and the presentation pleases me.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #15
Head Chef

I do not know how to cook for two unless I'm making eggs and toast.
I'm 'cooking for two challenged'.

I grew up cooking for 6 or more, then my own family of 5, teenage boys and now just three of us. I don't downsize, I just freeze family portions.

Yesterday I made beef bourguignon. After three of us ate, I put 4 individual quarts of it sans potatoes in the freezer and more than 2 quarts in the refrigerator along with the leftover potatoes.
Today we'll have leftovers (which are better than fresh cooked) and it frees up the kitchen for dehydrating tomatoes and shucking corn to freeze or can.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Desserts are easier if you invest in a couple of small ramekins and just cut your recipes to make 2 small desserts instead of a big one. Cakes are simple, just half the recipe and cook separately. Cheesecake needs to be cut down to about 1/3 of the recipe to really work. Souffles and other special recipes are easy to find online predivided into 2 portions!
Old 09-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I started by realizing that I didn't require leftovers for the next day's lunch, and if anyone stops by during mealtime without calling first, they're SOL cuz they ain't gettin' fed here. There's a McDonalds, a Carl's Jr, two Mexican restaurants, a dumpling house and a Jewish deli within walking distance if they're hungry.

One of the reasons I like buying Omaha Steaks meat is that almost everything they sell is individually vacuum packed in single portions.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
You're so right, Aunt Bea. Oyster stew is a regular on my menu now, and if lobsters were available, they would be on my menu on a regular basis too.
oyster stew? i don't know, better run that one by aunt bea, first.... :)
Old 09-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #19
Executive Chef

I usually only use a recipe as a starting point. After cooking for 4, then for 3, then the two of us, I've started using about what I think we will need for one meal. I find if I make more, we will usually eat it even if we don't need it. We love leftovers so when we do, enjoy them without making an entire meal again. When I make cakes, etc that do require a recipe, I usually give at least half of it away. The recipient appreciates it and we don't have to try to eat it up.I have a cookbook for 2, but found many of the recipes were things we probably wouldn't enjoy.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #20
Executive Chef

"Does ANYONE really know how to cook for 2?"

Yes.

Tags
cook