"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-06-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Does ANYONE really know how to cook for 2?

cook for two? I have always cooked for an army, and now that my nest is empty, I just don't know how to shrink the recipes, dishes, the food. I have cookbooks on cooking for two, but then I think, what if it's not enough? will there be leftovers for lunch? What is someone drops in?

Any ideas? My family is southern, and the idea of not having enough food to satisfy everyone is abhorrent.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I cook for two and used to cook for one for a while.

There are options. If you're making things like soup, chili, enchiladas, lasagna, etc., you can make a larger batch and freeze the food in meal-sized portions.

For certain recipes, you will have to reduce the quantities down to size one time so you'll have it when you need it. I buy steaks, pork products, sausages, chicken, etc. in quantity when they're on sale, then cut up and wrap them in meal packages. I buy ground beef in large quantities and freeze it in half-pound plastic wrapped packets. Most recipes call for a ground beef in multiples of a half pound so I just defrost one, two or three packets for the recipe.

The day before, move the frozen meat for tomorrow from the freezer to the fridge and it'll be ready for dinner.

Sometimes yo may want to make enough for four so you'll have leftovers for lunches or a dinner of leftovers.

I don't see how you can plan for unexpected guests.

It's really no harder than cooking for a crowd, you just have to get into a routine.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
Master Chef

You start by seeing how much you have left of your usual dishes when it's just the 2 of you. If you have more than half left over, then you know you can safely cut the amounts in half and have leftovers. Some things are hard to cut in half like lasagna. For those kids of dishes you can go ahead and make it then freeze the remainder or store it in lunch sized portions. I was just getting used to cooking for the 2 of us when the yungun moved back home after college since he can't find a job yet.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:58 AM   #4
Cook

Honestly, despite trying my best to cook for two for the last several months, all I've really accomplished is starting a nifty system of getting good use out of leftovers.

Such as, I'll often make something like fajitas and turn it into a poor mans (delicious!) stir fry for lunch the following day.

And if there's still leftovers then dang I'll just eat it as a snack.

So no, my answer is no.

*not actually a hero
NotActuallyaHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:14 AM   #5
Certified Cake Maniac

I have this book and it is a great reference for cooking for two and has some great recipes in it. It is "Canadian" but I am sure you will understand the recipes and the cuisine is pretty similar.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:54 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm now cooking for one and Andy's way is the way I use.

I buy in bulk, package in dinner or dish size portions. The bulk hamburger is now in 3 pound chubs, so I started cutting them into fourths (easier) and found that 3/4 # is plenty in most dishes, and since I like to add ground sausage for extra flavor, I cut the 1# sausages into thirds. So total meat is now about a pound, the basic amount for most recipes.

I stick to the pound size dishes because that goes with whole cans of diced tomatoes or tomato sauce for instance.

I try to make dishes like casseroles in a smaller casserole dish (6" X 7"). It divides into 4 meal size portions. I eat one or two, then freeze the rest for later.

I've found that I have to balance my love of cooking with what I like to eat. Too often I'll want to make chili when I already have some frozen!

It's definitely a balancing act.

I try to remember that the more ingredients I use, the bigger the final dish. The recipes with 4 or 5 ingredients are more compatible with cooking for 1 or 2.

I love to make beans, and have found that it's just as easy to make a half a package (1/2#) and it makes plenty without filling the freezer.

Mac & cheese. Start with 1/2 cup of macaroni instead of a whole cup. It's no big deal, just less leftovers.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:16 AM   #7
Master Chef

Cooking for two is more about attitude than anything else.

I agree with everything the others have said and I will only add two things.

Cut back on your buying until you have no scraps for the cat or garbage for the trash man.

Think of the treats that you were not able to have when feeding your army.

Now is the time in your life to enjoy them and indulge yourself.

Oh! If someone drops in pick up the phone and order a pizza!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:18 AM   #8
Senior Cook

It is tricky to cook for two. When I was first learning how to cook for two, I made huge quantities of food. Lately I have been cooking the perfect amount with no leftovers. We just discussed last night that we want to have leftovers again. So that means that I will need to cook for 4. JESH!

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:23 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Cooking for two is more about attitude than anything else.

I agree with everything the others have said and I will only add two things.

Cut back on your buying until you have no scraps for the cat or garbage for the trash man.

Think of the treats that you were not able to have when feeding your army.

Now is the time in your life to enjoy them and indulge yourself.

Oh! If someone drops in pick up the phone and order a pizza!

You're so right, Aunt Bea. Oyster stew is a regular on my menu now, and if lobsters were available, they would be on my menu on a regular basis too.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:28 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Unless we have company I cook for two and I love it. I don't buy many things by bulk because it's my personal preference and I can do that without breaking the budget. One thing I really enjoy is to eat leftovers for breakfast so when I cook a favorite recipe the leftovers are not a problem for us. We do eat better than when we had kids at home. Normally a meal consists of meat, carbohydrates of some sort and a green salad because we like green salad but vegetables not so much. I rarely bake these days just for us and often send leftover desserts home with guests.

Tags
cook