"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-24-2007, 06:57 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Does marinating reduce chicken barbecue cooking times ?

I went to a party last night and chicken was amongst other things cooked on a barbecue.

It was raw inside and I and many others said 'no way Jose'.

I spent a year in Brazil and the Brazilians are experts on barbecuing.

Chicken is an exception there and they boil it for 10-15 minutes in water to which they have added garlic and coriander - and maybe other things.

Then they barbecue it and it comes out with the taste of barbecued chicken (plus the garlic and herbs) and it never has blood oozing out of the bones.

Finally, my question :-)

Would marinading give the same results as the 'boiling' ?

thanks,

Mike

Old 04-24-2007, 07:13 AM   #2
Head Chef

In my experience parboiling would give it the flavor and it is cooking the flavor in it and then the addition of barbque adds. I have done both ways and have had good results. The only thing not precooking is you will have to cook it longer. I only precook it when I have alot of people to feed then I know it is cooked. It also help getting alot of the prework done before company arrives.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:14 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Marinating chicken will add flavor to the chicken. It does not effect the cooking times.

Parboiling chicken before grilling it is a waste of time and kills some of the flavor. Parboiling results in the chicken's flavoring the water. It is, after all, how we make stock.

I grill chicken with a combination of high and low heats. The high heat gives nice color to the skin and crisps it up and the lower heat ensures the chicken is cooked through without incinerating it.

Whould you boil a steak before grilling it?
Old 04-24-2007, 07:53 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Marinating chicken will add flavor to the chicken. It does not effect the cooking times.

Parboiling chicken before grilling it is a waste of time and kills some of the flavor. Parboiling results in the chicken's flavoring the water. It is, after all, how we make stock.

I grill chicken with a combination of high and low heats. The high heat gives nice color to the skin and crisps it up and the lower heat ensures the chicken is cooked through without incinerating it.

This is so good it needs repeating!!!!

I might add; Please do not par boil chicken, ribs, etc prior to bbqing!!! It borders on sacrilege!! Practice and learn the art of proper bbqing! You will be highly rewarded!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:17 AM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmike
It was raw inside and I and many others said 'no way Jose'.
This could also have happened because before bbqing, the chicken pieces were still frozen inside as a result of rushed defrosting. Best is to let chicken come to room temp for half an hour or so before cooking to achieve more uniform cooking. (This is what I do when roasting whole chicken and I've never had raw interiors despite short roasting times at high heat.)
Old 04-24-2007, 10:33 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.

When you're right, you're right!
Old 04-24-2007, 10:46 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Slashing the meat through to the bone will reduce the cooking time a little and is also good to get plenty of marinade flavor in there (Increased surface area).
beyond that, everything that`s been said above is quite correct.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:59 AM   #8
Senior Cook

I have pre-cooked chicken in the oven with barbecue sauce and finished it on the grill when I have a lot to do. otherwise I prefer doing it all on the grill as has already been said - combination of high and low temps.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:22 AM   #9
Cook

There is no substitute for heat especially when it pertains to poultry. About a year ago the USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service established 165F degrees as the safe minimum internal temperature to kill food-borne pathogens and viruses in poultry. This lowered it from 180F which had been the standard since the early 1980s. A sustained temperature of 15 seconds is needed to accomplish the cleansing.

A some marinades have ingredients that break down cellular structure which emulates the process similar to when heat is applied and is sometimes referred to as cooking. Some marinades that I use have ingredients such as soy sauce that will cause a color change within the meat like a chicken breast. Judging the proper doneness is always best with a thermometer.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:39 PM   #10
Master Chef

I have baked chicken before putting on the grill to about half done. But that was only once and only because I did not have enough room on the grill and no time either (read unexpected guests). It did speed up the grilling of course and actually did not affect the taste in the end, but I would not do that on a regular bases.