"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-05-2006, 08:29 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Does Meat Continue to Cook When Taken Out of the Oven?

I was under the assumption that meat cooks around 10 additional degrees once taken out of the oven. I recently left my meat thermometer in my roast and after 25 minutes it only cooked 2 more degrees. I needed my meat to be cooked more so I stuck it in the oven and it rose 6 degrees very quickly - 2 minutes - I took it out and it stayed at that temperature for another 25 minutes - didn't rise at all. I'm confused - should I leave my meat in the oven until I reach the temperature I want or was this just a fluke?

Old 02-05-2006, 09:03 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

That sounds like a fluke to me. I have no idea why it would not continue to rise in temp after being removed from the oven. How big of a roast was it? The larger it is, the more the temp should continue to rise. This is called carry over cooking. For small things like chicken breasts you might only get 3-5 degrees of carry over, but for larger things like roasts, whole birds, or anything with a lot more mass then 10-15 degrees or more is usual.

Old 02-05-2006, 09:06 AM   #3
Head Chef

It has always been my conception that the meat will continue to cook after removing from the oven because it is hot, it will not increase in temperature by just lying on the counter. Being outside the oven there is no reason for it to get any hotter.

Why your thermometer went up six degrees in two minutes I have no idea.

But yes, meat will continue to cook after you take it out of the oven.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:09 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

agreed gb, the bigger the roast, the more it will rise in temp. my experience is 10-20 degrees for a large beef roast, 5 to 10 degrees for smaller pork roasts.

i'm sure factors like the kind of meat, amount of fat, cut, and whether it is bone in or boneless also has factors influencing the amount of carry over.

any one of our experts have good info on this? michael, andy, marm, jenny, allenmi ...???
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:17 AM   #5
Executive Chef

this was a 2.5 lb. beef roast - i used a maverick meat probe thermometer - the remote kind - which i must say, was pretty slick. so -- at what point do you take the meat out of the oven, 10 degrees lower than you want it so it will rise to the temp during rest ... or ... remove it at the temperature you want to it be?

i found it interesting that this thermometer has settings for the different types of beef and the temperature and "taste" - beef - rare-140, med-160, and well done 170 - i was trying to figure out if rare is 140 and it goes to that temp, from what i have read, wouldn't it then rise in temp and become medium? nothing in the documentation about this. anyone have this thermometer?
Old 02-05-2006, 09:19 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

You would want to take it out of the over a few degrees short of what you want the final temp to be. For a 2.5lb roast if I wanted it 140 I would probably pull it out around 135.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:23 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

the thermometers aren't intuitive yet michele, as far as i've seen. (hey, good idea for a foolproof thermometer. you tell it the type and weight of the roast, and the cooking temp, and it calculates the offset. hmmmmmm)
if it says 140 when you pull it out, larger roasts will continue on to medium rare / medium.
i've found that most temp ranges on thermometers are a little to high for my taste. 160 is on it's way to well done, and i don't like pork cooked to 170 as they are oft programmed.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:25 AM   #8
Executive Chef

okay, the smaller the piece of meat, the less it will increase in temp. yesterday it only increased by 2 degrees. i guess this is something i am going to have to get experienced in - i'll have fun trying!
Old 02-05-2006, 09:30 AM   #9
Executive Chef

buckytom, you're on to something with the thermometer - when should we start making our millions?
Old 02-05-2006, 09:40 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

lol michele, we'll split the profits 50/50, ok?

upon thinking about this, i figure (darn, i wish crewsk was back so i could say reckon) that heat is a form of energy, and it enters the roast from the outside in to the center, where the probe tip is located. so, even after removing the roast from the heat source, the heat energy continues to radiate inward towards where the probe tip is located. thus, the internal temp will continue to rise, thereby continuing to cook the meat.