Does my food look bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SG1L3592.JPG

Another trick that I like to use, is lots of bokeh, having a small part of the picture in focus and everthing else blurring into the background. I like this method, because it leads the eye to the details, and gives the picture more depth and makes it a little more three dimensional.

This can be achieved with a point and shoot using the portrait mode. I get this effect with a digital slr with a really old lens 50mm f1.8

It doesn't look bad, but a little out of focus, maybe back the camera off some?

It has a very short depth of field. It's supposed to be out of focus in some places to draw your eye to the in-focus places: the cookies, etc. on the sides.

Bakechef, I think you are confusing bokeh with depth of field. While they are closely related, they are not the same thing.

Bakechef, I think you are confusing bokeh with depth of field. While they are closely related, they are not the same thing.

that's what I was thinking as well.

However I use the same tech in a lot of my stuff. focus a great deal on a specific section..usually parts that most of the colors can be seen and where the texture is most notable. I've had a few people comment on it recently saying they really enjoy that in my shots.
Oh how I love the lens correction tool of lightroom

but really bakechef, it's a great shot over all

To me, the color temperature looks WAY OFF (too warm).

As quoted from "The Luminous Landscape", a serious enthusiast and professional photographer web site:

"Please note that unless you are ever-so-slightly crazy (ESSC), bokeh doesn't matter all that much. What sane photographers mostly care about is that the out-of-focus areas not be ugly or garish enough to be intrusive or distracting. If any particular lens meets that criterion in any particular picture, then you really don't have to worry about it too much beyond that. And, if any photographer wants to exploit interesting or unusual or "bad" bokeh for artistic purposes, there is, as far as I know, no law against that."

"It is a Japanese word meaning, roughly, "fuzzy," and it is used to describe old people with cobwebs in their heads among several other things — including the out-of-focus areas of photographs, which, I'm told, might more specifically be referred to as "boke-aji."

In short, it is the quality of the out-of-focus portion of the image. It's as difficult to describe as "umami."

Before I add to the discussion, I'd like to say that I think hyperion's photos are not so bad, considering they were taken with a phone-cam with little or no post processing.

Selkie's explanation about bokeh is spot on. It is the undefinable quality of the unfocused areas of an image. For example, a Nikon 500 reflex produces the impression of looking through a window splattered with raindrops, whereas my 300 has a ultra-fine particulate fuzz that tricks the eye into thinking it too is in focus. My Pentax 85, at full dilation, creates images outside the depth-of-field with a surreal, dreamy fog. The term is usually reserved as an attribute of a camera lens.

I have a very simple, home-made light box of snap-together PVC pipe. It simplifies lighting and shooting still life.

GB said:

I know just about enough about photography to be dangerous, which means not a lot. LOL

Photography terms and techniques are my weak point, I have a hard time wrapping my head around it all, some day it will just click, until then I will just muddle through!

Not to worry bakechef. Bokeh is something many people have a hard time understanding. It is not an easily definable thing.

hi folks, I'm new to this forum!
I have been posting food accomplishments (i.e. dishes that I make) on a Chinese forum but for some reason they always say my food looks bad. I have no idea how to improve and they wouldn't tell me (they just tell me it's bad, but not why it's bad). So I decided to look for another forum to discuss my cooking technique. First of all, I would like to show you several dishes that I received negative comments on, and hopefully get some constructive feedback :)

This is Penne alla Vodka

974igg.jpg

This is apricot salami scone with strawberry and grape tomato sauce

xde8m9.jpg

Spaghetti alle vongole

sff3w6.jpg

Baked tilapia

29cqsg3.jpg

Tilapia soup

2wpt112.jpg

Pizza

2v8mn46.jpg
In my opinion, your biggest problems aren't food related, but photo related. The subject of the pictures is good, but there isn't much to add interest. Pictures require the proper lighting to look good.

For instance, in your picture of the Penne Pasta, there are shadows that are just there. They aren't dark enough to add dimension or contrast, especially since the lighting didn't make the natural tomato pop. Try using you flash, and getting about 3 to 4 feet away from the plate. Place the plate onto a pretty piece of cloth that will compliment the reds of the food. Place an attractive glass strategically next to the plate, preferably either a glass goblet filled with a colorful liquid, or one with an interesting paint scheme on the outside will help the picture. Also, the shredded cheese on top takes away from the clean look of the food, and makes everything a little too busy.

With your Scone, again, you need more light. Use the flash. I understand what you were trying to achieve with the sauce. But it has to have smooth, clean lines, not the irregular and sometimes wavy look. These shout - AMATURE - to the world. I believe the food is much better than is the picture.

The Spaghetti alle vongole is almost where it's supposed to be. Simply change the camera angle to a slightly lower position, in order to create more ddrama. Again, make it a little brighter, increase the contrast. The distance works with this dish.

The fish is lackluster in appearance. With that sprig of Rosemary sitting on top, almost looking like it's in a shadow, the picture becomes boring. You don't have to change the ingredients, but it would help to add a bright green garnish, or maybe a quartered lemon slice, with the peel. The picture again needs to be brighter to make it more appealing.

With the Tilapia Soup, you are way too close to the subject. Back off and present the soup in a pretty place setting, with a lean and simple table cloth, a champagne glass beside it, with bright and shiny silverware sitting on a perfectly folded cloth napkin. This will take the observer's eye away from the broth, and at the same time, reduce the impression that this soups is loaded with fat. You might even garnish it with fresh parsley, that isn't half submerged, but rather, sitting on the side of the bowl.

Finally, the pizza - simply move back a little, and plate it attractively on colorful cloth placemats. Maybe have a slice removed from the pit to show off the crust.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I'm not sure, but the picture do not depict Chinese food... in my opinion. If the pictures are supposed to make me think of non-Chinese recipes, they succeed.

Chinese food require the chef to cook food not only delicious but also smell and look good. We call it look good, smell good and taste good. Your food may smell and taste good but looks ugly. The first one have too much white things on that make people uncomfortable. The second one is too small and looks like been bite by someone. The third one make me want to ask how do I eat the noodle? I think you should place the noodle and oyster(look like) into different dish. The tail of the fish has gone and its belly been broken. The soup has too much black dot on and the color looks not very well. Piza(maybe) is too thick.

Back
Top Bottom