"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-19-2008, 07:57 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Does "panko" go by another name?

I was in town yesterday at Giant Eagle, where I have looked for panko several times after reading here how great it was for a crispy breading, and took the time to track down a couple employees and ask where it was located. They never heard of it. Is panko regional, does it go by another name?

Thanks

Old 12-19-2008, 08:03 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

It is sometimes called Japanese breadcrumbs, but generally no it does not really go by another name. Some places just have not heard of it and don't carry it.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:04 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Panko is the name for the Japanese style bread crumbs. It's not regional. They may just be called Japanese style bread crumbs. IF your market has an Asian food section, that's the most likely spot.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've never seen it called anything else either, pacanis. If you have an Asian or international section in your market, check there. Also, if there's an Asian or international market in your area, see if they carry panko.

Of the three Kroger stores in the town where I shop, only one of them carries panko in the Asian section of their store. Go figure.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
you could use crushed rice krispies in a pinch. that'd be close.....
I couldn't find them until last year or so.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:16 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

AND with the holiday spirit building one of us just might be inclined to have Santa pay you a visit providing you send us your address through e-mail
kaesma
Old 12-19-2008, 08:48 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the suggestion kadesma, but if anybody's going to do any shipping, I'd much rather have some Tim Tams

I didn't know they were an international, or ethnic food. We do have a large ethnic aisle. I'll look for panko or Japanese bread crumbs there. And also realize that maybe they just don't carry them. The way they are always mentioned here I thought they were a more common item. Heck, Erie just got its first sushi house, or so the radio ads say.

Thank you much!
Old 12-19-2008, 09:02 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Not sure what you are trying to cook, but I usually mix 2 parts corn flour to one part corn meal when frying seafood. I prefer this to pre packaged fry breading because I find most of them to be too salty. Also when dealing with corn flour, you want your oil to be at least 350 to 375 degrees before you put anything in there. Cook is small portions because the temp of the oil can easily drop 100 degrees, and then it will all be very greasy. Especially fish and shrimp due to the short cooking time.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:05 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Actually, it is for seafood. Small Tilapia filets. It's just that I've been wanting to give this panko a try. Thanks for the tips though.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:07 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
Not sure what you are trying to cook, but I usually mix 2 parts corn flour to one part corn meal when frying seafood. I prefer this to pre packaged fry breading because I find most of them to be too salty. Also when dealing with corn flour, you want your oil to be at least 350 to 375 degrees before you put anything in there. Cook is small portions because the temp of the oil can easily drop 100 degrees, and then it will all be very greasy. Especially fish and shrimp due to the short cooking time.
Your flour, corn flour mix is nothing at all like panko though. Also, panko is not really pre packaged fry breading the way I think you are thinking. They are just breadcrumbs with nothing added. They are not salty at all.