Does "panko" go by another name?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I was in town yesterday at Giant Eagle, where I have looked for panko several times after reading here how great it was for a crispy breading, and took the time to track down a couple employees and ask where it was located. They never heard of it. Is panko regional, does it go by another name?

Thanks

It is sometimes called Japanese breadcrumbs, but generally no it does not really go by another name. Some places just have not heard of it and don't carry it.

Panko is the name for the Japanese style bread crumbs. It's not regional. They may just be called Japanese style bread crumbs. IF your market has an Asian food section, that's the most likely spot.

I've never seen it called anything else either, pacanis. If you have an Asian or international section in your market, check there. Also, if there's an Asian or international market in your area, see if they carry panko.

Of the three Kroger stores in the town where I shop, only one of them carries panko in the Asian section of their store. Go figure.

you could use crushed rice krispies in a pinch. that'd be close.....
I couldn't find them until last year or so.

AND with the holiday spirit building one of us just might be inclined to have Santa pay you a visit providing you send us your address through e-mail
kaesma:LOL:

:LOL: Thanks for the suggestion kadesma, but if anybody's going to do any shipping, I'd much rather have some Tim Tams :LOL:

I didn't know they were an international, or ethnic food. We do have a large ethnic aisle. I'll look for panko or Japanese bread crumbs there. And also realize that maybe they just don't carry them. The way they are always mentioned here I thought they were a more common item. Heck, Erie just got its first sushi house, or so the radio ads say.

Thank you much!

Not sure what you are trying to cook, but I usually mix 2 parts corn flour to one part corn meal when frying seafood. I prefer this to pre packaged fry breading because I find most of them to be too salty. Also when dealing with corn flour, you want your oil to be at least 350 to 375 degrees before you put anything in there. Cook is small portions because the temp of the oil can easily drop 100 degrees, and then it will all be very greasy. Especially fish and shrimp due to the short cooking time.

Actually, it is for seafood. Small Tilapia filets. It's just that I've been wanting to give this panko a try. Thanks for the tips though.

Not sure what you are trying to cook, but I usually mix 2 parts corn flour to one part corn meal when frying seafood. I prefer this to pre packaged fry breading because I find most of them to be too salty. Also when dealing with corn flour, you want your oil to be at least 350 to 375 degrees before you put anything in there. Cook is small portions because the temp of the oil can easily drop 100 degrees, and then it will all be very greasy. Especially fish and shrimp due to the short cooking time.
Your flour, corn flour mix is nothing at all like panko though. Also, panko is not really pre packaged fry breading the way I think you are thinking. They are just breadcrumbs with nothing added. They are not salty at all.

most large chain grocery stores will usually stock a particular item if asked, try going to the customer service desk to request them to order some, they will usually get a shipment of it within a week.

:) So thi is my question. Why can't we make Panko bread crumbs? it can't be that hard and they are expensive for just a cup of bread crumbs $ 2.74 here.

The bags I get have much more than a cup in them, and if I remember correctly mine weren't more than 2 .00 for the bag.
Take a look at the site I just pposted I think they describe why panko crumbs are different, and a little on the process.

I don't know how well these work but I found this recipe for home made panko...

Homemade Panko Bread Crumbs

This recipe is from Bellaonline.com. I don't use them, much, but a lot of people do. Here is your chance to contron the ingredients in yours. Any white bread will do for making panko. An Asian chef I once worked with swore that the best homemade panko came from Wonder Bread! The yield will vary according to how large you make your crumbs, so I am guessing.
by Jim in Washington
23 min | 15 min prep

3 -4 Cups
  • 1 loaf white bread, or
  • if you don't have white bread, use soda crackers, like Saltines and oyster crackers or melba toast, instead. approx. 23 saltine crackers per cup
  1. Push chunks of white bread through the shredding disk of a food processor to make coarse crumbs.
  2. Spread the crumbs on a baking sheet and bake at 300 F degrees until the crumbs are dry but not toasted, about 6 to 8 minutes. Shake the sheet twice during baking. Be careful not to let the crumbs brown!
  3. Immediately remove bread crumbs from oven and allow them to cool.
  4. Once cooled, crumbs may be stored in the freezer, in a resealable plastic bag for as long as several months.

:) So thi is my question. Why can't we make Panko bread crumbs? it can't be that hard and they are expensive for just a cup of bread crumbs $ 2.74 here.
They are made with special equipment. I do not remember exactly, but I seem to remember that a large vertical metal plate is used. The metal plate is heated and the bread batter (or whatever they call it) is thrown onto the vertical heated plate where it cooks very quickly and then pops off creating the crumbs.

Hey that's pretty cool. I was thinking about this myself, but I was thinking to dry them out before pushing them through a FP.

well I don't know about you but wonder bread is more expensive where I live than just buying the crumbs and it would make the same amount as is in the bag....I just looked and each bag I buy has 4 cups in it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom