"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 01-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #11
Master Chef
I'd smell it. If it smells sour, I'd dump it. If it smells like, well, rice, I'd use it.

Also texture. When you put your hand in it, is it clumpy or still in grains? If the former, get rid of it.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #12
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by garlicjosh View Post
yep, not a problem.
Brown Rice is high in fat which is why it happens.
I've had it happen once before I found that in my food studies, now my brown rice stays in the freezer, i've had a good sized bag now for about 6 months and have yet to have it happen

Do you mean that, it is (brown rice) high in fact? What kind of brown rice are using with the ones who are on diet or on high blood? I mean, with a high sugars (diabetic).

CookLikeJulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
it should be just fine.
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:56 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Originally Posted by garlicjosh View Post
that would probably make a great deal of difference, kept air tight, cool and in the dark im sure it wouldn't be a problem, I don't have space to stash things in air tight containers so things tend to have to reamin in bags.
only things I have in air tight containers is flax seed, all my flours, and my dry beans and those take up a lot of space
Use zip baggies for air tight containers. Sometimes I take the item out of the box or bag after opening and just keep the directions from the package.

In my cabinet they all get piled high into a shoebox size container (no lid). Larger ones on top shelves where I can see what's in them. Cereal, oatmeal, grits, beans rice, etc.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #15
Senior Cook
If it looks like there is any dust in it or settled on the bottom, throw it out. Where we live little bugs eat the rice & create the dust if it is not used in a timely manner. Yuck!
Clienta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #16
Sous Chef
When I had little kids, i used to buy white rice just once a year; a huge one. Now I buy the same size but more often. Anyway, it's always been fine. Brown rice has to be treated different - but then again, any whole grain would be more .. delicate.

MostlyWater is offline   Reply With Quote