"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-07-2005, 03:51 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I've seen in some recipes it was suggested to use turmeric instead of saffron and I suppose it was to save money, but I don't think it is a good idea. Perhaps in a recipe that was quite complex, the difference may not be noticed, but in a simple dish such as rice, etc, it would be quite noticeable.

Old 11-07-2005, 05:23 PM   #12
Executive Chef

The only thing they have in common, Licia, is the colour!

Old 11-07-2005, 08:33 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
The risotto idea that Andy suggested is called "Risotto alla Milanese", one of the classic queen mothers of risottos. I have a wonderful recipe, I already posted it previously so I will give you a link... this one is, really worth a try... (reply #19)

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...sotto+milanesz
Old 11-08-2005, 06:13 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Let's all help GB, and try to describe the flavor of saffron - elusive;perfumy;flowery, would be words I'd use to describe the taste - i'ts definitely a 'back' flavor in any dish, but you'd absolutely notice if you tasted the dish with and without it.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:17 AM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks Marm. That is how I sort of pictured it would taste. I also picture it with a hint of sweetness. Not sugary sweetness, but more like how a flower can smell sweet, maybe like rose water.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:08 AM   #16
Senior Cook

I use to do mussels with a saffron cream sauce that really helped feature
the saffron,and an indian biryani is nice too.I find saffron to be a little bitter
and sweet at the same time and it's quite heady and really detectable in the
nasal system.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:18 PM   #17
Master Chef

Also safflower is passed off as saffron (and looks similar). My MIL used to grow safflower and we used it to give the color ..... BUT it doesn't taste the same (doesn't taste much at all). I seldom buy it -- it isn't easily available around here, and is quite expensive. But it does have a distinctive flavor.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:12 AM   #18
Senior Cook

i love saffron, every time i make curry i make saffron rice. i boil some water, and then add a pinch of saffron to the water and cover it... and let it sit until the water is vibrant yellow. then i take out the little red saffron pieces, and use the water in my rice cooker to make rice. it has a very distinctive flavor, and a strong aroma that i believe really adds a lot to the meal. i sometimes add a few dried star anise to the rice cooker as well. hard to describe the smell and flavor, but it is delicious and IMO worth the cost... you only need a tiny pinch after all, it goes a long way.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:14 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodaholic
I use to do mussels with a saffron cream sauce that really helped feature
the saffron,and an indian biryani is nice too.I find saffron to be a little bitter
and sweet at the same time and it's quite heady and really detectable in the
nasal system.
After I read all the threads I was going to mention a mussel recipe I had - it was soooo good. Mine was coconut milk, saffron, cilantro, I think there must have been some butter in there too, with chopped tomatoes garnishing the top of the bowl. They were wonderful!

It is hard to believe so few threads of saffron can flavor a dish but they can. I love it in black beans and rice (I use green pepper, onions, if I have leftover chicken or pork I chop that up in there, fresh lime, fresh cilantro and whatever else you think goes in there). It is a "behind the scenes" flavor but still an important one. It's like using rose water in baklava, I can tell when it's not there.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 10:15 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
After I read all the threads I was going to mention a mussel recipe I had - it was soooo good. Mine was coconut milk, saffron, cilantro, I think there must have been some butter in there too, with chopped tomatoes garnishing the top of the bowl. They were wonderful!

It is hard to believe so few threads of saffron can flavor a dish but they can. I love it in black beans and rice (I use green pepper, onions, if I have leftover chicken or pork I chop that up in there, fresh lime, fresh cilantro and whatever else you think goes in there). It is a "behind the scenes" flavor but still an important one. It's like using rose water in baklava, I can tell when it's not there.
And of course I say get some - just keep it properly sealed and stored.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote