Does saffron have a noticable flavor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I have never cooked with saffron, but have always been curious to try. I find it so interesting that such a little amount goes such a long way. I have never bought it because I do not often come across a recipe that I would want to try that calls for saffron so I don't want to shell out the money on something so expensive to just have it sit in my cupboard and get old.

My question is, does it really impart that much of a flavor (even when such a small amount is usually called for) or is it more for the color. I have to believe it does give a flavor. Let me know your experiences. Thanks.

And it is noticeable enough even in such small amounts? I know the answer must be yes, I just find it amazing.

Is it a subtle flavor usually or is it really noticeable?

If you made two batches of a recipe, one with and one without saffron, you would be able to notice the difference. Then you'd have to decide if you like it or not!

As much conversation as there is about the cost of saffron, it is sold in very small quantities which are more than enough to flavor a dish. I have bought threads for less than $5.00.

Try it first in a Parmesan and saffron risotto rather than a paella. The flavor will be more noticeable in the risotto.

Thanks Andy. The last time I was at Penzys I had picked some up then put it down then picked it up then...I went back and forth a million times LOL. You are right, it is sold in small enough quantities that it would not cost a lot to try it. I am actually surprised that I have not broken down and gotten any yet.

Lots of Indian dishes call for saffron - and saffron flavoured rice is a distinctive flavour to try and see if you like it.

I do!:)

I don't use it very much. SO is not a big risotto fan and I haven't made a paella yet.

Of course there are other recipes out there but I haven't gone looking for recipes that give me an opportunity to use saffron.

My Indian neighbors use it in their cooking, I actually kind of like it, though I have not had any for a long time now. But it is really interesting flavor, just like Andy I decline to describe it. But isn't it also an aphrodisiac ?

CharlieD said:
My Indian neighbors use it in their cooking, I actually kind of like it, though I have not had any for a long time now. But it is really interesting flavor, just like Andy I decline to describe it. But isn't it also an aphrodisiac ?
I've heard that too Charlie...wonder what culture determined it was???

I really like the taste of saffron, it's similar in some way to eating flowers like zucchini blossoms just more "herby" at the same time. It's a pleasant, mild taste that works excellently in many dishes.

(Did you know that saffron is the most expensive spice in the world? It's followed by cardamom and vanilla beans.)

And beware when travelling in Europe - (particularly true in the Greek islands where I've seen it for myself) where the markets sell bags of 'saffron' at bargain prices - which invariably turns out to be turmeric when you open them!

I've had quite a few friends who have fallen for the scam.

I posted a recipe for Cornish saffron cake which is a way of using saffron for a baked way of presenting saffron. It's yummy :)

I've seen in some recipes it was suggested to use turmeric instead of saffron and I suppose it was to save money, but I don't think it is a good idea. Perhaps in a recipe that was quite complex, the difference may not be noticed, but in a simple dish such as rice, etc, it would be quite noticeable.

Let's all help GB, and try to describe the flavor of saffron - elusive;perfumy;flowery, would be words I'd use to describe the taste - i'ts definitely a 'back' flavor in any dish, but you'd absolutely notice if you tasted the dish with and without it.

Thanks Marm. That is how I sort of pictured it would taste. I also picture it with a hint of sweetness. Not sugary sweetness, but more like how a flower can smell sweet, maybe like rose water.

I use to do mussels with a saffron cream sauce that really helped feature
the saffron,and an indian biryani is nice too.I find saffron to be a little bitter
and sweet at the same time and it's quite heady and really detectable in the
nasal system.

Also safflower is passed off as saffron (and looks similar). My MIL used to grow safflower and we used it to give the color ..... BUT it doesn't taste the same (doesn't taste much at all). I seldom buy it -- it isn't easily available around here, and is quite expensive. But it does have a distinctive flavor.

i love saffron, every time i make curry i make saffron rice. i boil some water, and then add a pinch of saffron to the water and cover it... and let it sit until the water is vibrant yellow. then i take out the little red saffron pieces, and use the water in my rice cooker to make rice. it has a very distinctive flavor, and a strong aroma that i believe really adds a lot to the meal. i sometimes add a few dried star anise to the rice cooker as well. hard to describe the smell and flavor, but it is delicious and IMO worth the cost... you only need a tiny pinch after all, it goes a long way.

foodaholic said:
I use to do mussels with a saffron cream sauce that really helped feature
the saffron,and an indian biryani is nice too.I find saffron to be a little bitter
and sweet at the same time and it's quite heady and really detectable in the
nasal system.

After I read all the threads I was going to mention a mussel recipe I had - it was soooo good. Mine was coconut milk, saffron, cilantro, I think there must have been some butter in there too, with chopped tomatoes garnishing the top of the bowl. They were wonderful!

It is hard to believe so few threads of saffron can flavor a dish but they can. I love it in black beans and rice (I use green pepper, onions, if I have leftover chicken or pork I chop that up in there, fresh lime, fresh cilantro and whatever else you think goes in there). It is a "behind the scenes" flavor but still an important one. It's like using rose water in baklava, I can tell when it's not there.

kitchenelf said:
After I read all the threads I was going to mention a mussel recipe I had - it was soooo good. Mine was coconut milk, saffron, cilantro, I think there must have been some butter in there too, with chopped tomatoes garnishing the top of the bowl. They were wonderful!

It is hard to believe so few threads of saffron can flavor a dish but they can. I love it in black beans and rice (I use green pepper, onions, if I have leftover chicken or pork I chop that up in there, fresh lime, fresh cilantro and whatever else you think goes in there). It is a "behind the scenes" flavor but still an important one. It's like using rose water in baklava, I can tell when it's not there.

And of course I say get some - just keep it properly sealed and stored.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom