Dog Biscuits or Treats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a great recipe I made for three friends' dogs as Christmas gifts. The doggies all ate the treats like they were going out of style. The recipe came from the December/January 2007 issue of Taste of Home magazine. I can't post the recipe without violating copyright laws, but I'd be happy to PM you or email you with it.

I used to make home made snacks for our beagle with heart disease. He couldn't have salt.

I didn't really use a recipe but used flour (part WW), powdered milk, baby food (chicken flavor usually), garlic powder and water. Made it up till it was a nice doughy consistency, kneaded it a bit, then baked and let dry so they were hard.

Sometimes I added chopped cooked carrots.

My beagle boy would smell them cooking and run into the kitchen and sit right in front of the oven, as though watching it like a tv, until they came out. Then he would run happy circles all about.

Here's one that friends of mine have changed many times over the years. I've been making it for about 25 years now, and everyone loves it!! (well, the dogs, that is!!):LOL:

1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cornmeal ( that's for our southern friends)
1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal
1/4 cup rye kernels
1/2 tsp garlic powder ( or just chop some raw0
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp dessicated liver powder ( this is gross stuff I get at the health food store, I usually add a bit more)
1/2 cup meat drippings ( bacon etc) or shortening
1 egg
1/2 cup of your best stock ( don't scrimp just because it's for the dogs)

Combine flours, etc and seasonings. Add meat drippings. Blend until mixture resembles oatmeal. Add egg, and enough stock to form a ball. Knead dough for a few minutes. Roll out 1/2 inch thick. Cut, using your dog bone cutter. Place on oiled backing sheet, or just parchment paper. Prick with fork. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool on rack.

Throw one to the dogs as a treat,then store in airtight container.
When I made them on a regular basis, even buying the liver stuff etc, it was waaay cheaper than buying them. And it was fun.

Dogs just like a simple treat and this one seems to be safe for them while being nutritious:

Here is my Puppy Dog treat recipe:

2 tbsp wheat germ
1/2 cup powdered milk
1 cup wheat flour
1/2 cornmeal
2 tbsp garlic powder
1-2 egg(s)
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Mix the dry ingredients together. Add egg(s) and oil. Dough should be extremely stiff. Dip out a soup spoon full and press into spoon. Use a small spatula to lift it out of the spoon and put it onto a baking sheet. Fill the baking sheet with doggy treats and bake 15 minutes at 375F.
They stay hot for a very long time. Allow 45 min for cooling and break one in half for testing before giving to your pet. They will be firm but not hard.

jennyema said:
I used to make home made snacks for our beagle with heart disease. He couldn't have salt.

I didn't really use a recipe but used flour (part WW), powdered milk, baby food (chicken flavor usually), garlic powder and water. Made it up till it was a nice doughy consistency, kneaded it a bit, then baked and let dry so they were hard.

Sometimes I added chopped cooked carrots.

My beagle boy would smell them cooking and run into the kitchen and sit right in front of the oven, as though watching it like a tv, until they came out. Then he would run happy circles all about.

Jennyema, you made these without oil or fat? Our Amber needs to lose some weight and we bought fancy no trans fat organic dog biscuits.

When I opened the box, I couldn't believe how big and thick they are. I can't break them in half. They are about 3x-4x the size of our normal biscuit and I'm embarrassed to tell you the price.

Even though my dogs are big, I don't want them to eat that size of a cookie.

Your recipe sounds healthy.

I have had some unpleasant problems with store bought doggie treats. Vet $ bills.

It is hard not to buy stuff for your dog at the store. I think the best thing to do when you are tempted to buy them something is to try and buy the same brand as the dog food you feed them.

I asked my vet if my dogs were under weight since I saw so may dogs there with full figures. He said that it really depended on the breed as to how much weight they would gain.

I have a german short haired pointer and he will always look thin. My little beagle will sometimes get a little husky (+5 lbs).

Thanks to YOU

letscook said:
Thank you all

letscook, thank YOU for asking a question I have often thought about many, many times only to fear that people would not understand. My dogs are everything to me and just baking something especially for them would be such a privilege for me. They do so very much for my mental outlook and whatever time I allow for them is so small in comparison to the attention they give me.

I surely will attempt to make the recipes as soon as possible. So anxious to see if they will let me know if they like them. The ingredients are something I would fix for my family. Once again I thank you for asking about biscuits for the dogs.

Doggie Biscuits
(Microwave Recipe)

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
3/4 cup non-fat dry milk
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon sugar
1/3 cup shortening
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 TBSP instant chicken or beef bouillon
1/2 cup hot water
Combine first six ingredients. Cut in shortening. Add egg.
Dissolve bouillon in hot water and stir into mixture. Roll into
a ball and knead on floured surface for 5 minutes. Divide into
two sections and roll into 1 inch strips.Cut into 1/2 inch
nuggets or roll into 1/2 inch thickness and cut out with cookie
cutters. Place 6 cutouts or 24 nuggets on a flat baking dish.
Microwave on 50% power for 5-10 minutes until firm and dry,
turning the dish every 2 minutes. Cool on rack. Your doggie will
love you and give lots of doggie kisses for a snack. Makes 18
doggie bones or 60 + nuggets.

Granny G & letscook

GrannyG thanks. These really seem very simple and fairly quick. Have you tried them? Wonder what I would do with leftovers if they didn't eat them. Guess just have to try 1/2 recipe and see what happens.

letscook. Wow, and thank you so much. My dogs will never have to eat from store again. The snacks are so healthy and such a large variety. I truly like most of the ingredients in them Guess a person could try one and see how it is. As I said, I never wanted to ask recipe for dogs and here you offer me so many. I do appreciat e your time and most of all sharing them. Doing something for your pets is sign of love that they deserve. I really felt guilty buying the biscuits in the stores for them as I often felt they were not the best. Trouble is when I went to different store for snacks and had ingredients I liked the price was only reflection of how good they were. Times I deny myself in order to give them what they like. Thanks again for your time.

I have one dog that has the diabetes for seven years and she really needs attention to what you can and cannot have. When I give the other some kind of biscuit she normally smells the difference and won't eat hers until later. They are both blind and one is blind and can't hear. Sure like people. Thank goodness my family are all animal lovers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom