"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-26-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
Head Chef

Dog Biscuits or Treats

Does anyone have a Dog biscuit recipe they would like to share.
The ones they sell in the stores aren't a big hit our beagle.
Thanks

Old 02-26-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
Hospitality Queen

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ghlight=treats

found this one, but I'm sure we just had some chat about it in the last month or so...

Old 02-26-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I have a great recipe I made for three friends' dogs as Christmas gifts. The doggies all ate the treats like they were going out of style. The recipe came from the December/January 2007 issue of Taste of Home magazine. I can't post the recipe without violating copyright laws, but I'd be happy to PM you or email you with it.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
Master Chef

I used to make home made snacks for our beagle with heart disease. He couldn't have salt.

I didn't really use a recipe but used flour (part WW), powdered milk, baby food (chicken flavor usually), garlic powder and water. Made it up till it was a nice doughy consistency, kneaded it a bit, then baked and let dry so they were hard.

Sometimes I added chopped cooked carrots.

My beagle boy would smell them cooking and run into the kitchen and sit right in front of the oven, as though watching it like a tv, until they came out. Then he would run happy circles all about.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:03 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Here's one that friends of mine have changed many times over the years. I've been making it for about 25 years now, and everyone loves it!! (well, the dogs, that is!!)

1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cornmeal ( that's for our southern friends)
1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal
1/4 cup rye kernels
1/2 tsp garlic powder ( or just chop some raw0
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp dessicated liver powder ( this is gross stuff I get at the health food store, I usually add a bit more)
1/2 cup meat drippings ( bacon etc) or shortening
1 egg
1/2 cup of your best stock ( don't scrimp just because it's for the dogs)

Combine flours, etc and seasonings. Add meat drippings. Blend until mixture resembles oatmeal. Add egg, and enough stock to form a ball. Knead dough for a few minutes. Roll out 1/2 inch thick. Cut, using your dog bone cutter. Place on oiled backing sheet, or just parchment paper. Prick with fork. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool on rack.

Throw one to the dogs as a treat,then store in airtight container.
When I made them on a regular basis, even buying the liver stuff etc, it was waaay cheaper than buying them. And it was fun.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:13 PM   #6
Head Chef

Dogs just like a simple treat and this one seems to be safe for them while being nutritious:

Here is my Puppy Dog treat recipe:

2 tbsp wheat germ
1/2 cup powdered milk
1 cup wheat flour
1/2 cornmeal
2 tbsp garlic powder
1-2 egg(s)
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Mix the dry ingredients together. Add egg(s) and oil. Dough should be extremely stiff. Dip out a soup spoon full and press into spoon. Use a small spatula to lift it out of the spoon and put it onto a baking sheet. Fill the baking sheet with doggy treats and bake 15 minutes at 375F.
They stay hot for a very long time. Allow 45 min for cooling and break one in half for testing before giving to your pet. They will be firm but not hard.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:25 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
I used to make home made snacks for our beagle with heart disease. He couldn't have salt.

I didn't really use a recipe but used flour (part WW), powdered milk, baby food (chicken flavor usually), garlic powder and water. Made it up till it was a nice doughy consistency, kneaded it a bit, then baked and let dry so they were hard.

Sometimes I added chopped cooked carrots.

My beagle boy would smell them cooking and run into the kitchen and sit right in front of the oven, as though watching it like a tv, until they came out. Then he would run happy circles all about.
Jennyema, you made these without oil or fat? Our Amber needs to lose some weight and we bought fancy no trans fat organic dog biscuits.

When I opened the box, I couldn't believe how big and thick they are. I can't break them in half. They are about 3x-4x the size of our normal biscuit and I'm embarrassed to tell you the price.

Even though my dogs are big, I don't want them to eat that size of a cookie.

Your recipe sounds healthy.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:06 PM   #8
Head Chef

I have had some unpleasant problems with store bought doggie treats. Vet $ bills.

It is hard not to buy stuff for your dog at the store. I think the best thing to do when you are tempted to buy them something is to try and buy the same brand as the dog food you feed them.

I asked my vet if my dogs were under weight since I saw so may dogs there with full figures. He said that it really depended on the breed as to how much weight they would gain.

I have a german short haired pointer and he will always look thin. My little beagle will sometimes get a little husky (+5 lbs).
Old 02-26-2007, 08:08 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ghlight=treats

found this one, but I'm sure we just had some chat about it in the last month or so...
It was glop for cats.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:56 AM   #10
Head Chef

Thank you all