Don't discard that part!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember one day walking down on the pier at work and there were some guys crabbing and their chicken necks were floating in the water. They had bought chicken necks from the meat case that were partially frozen and were trying to crab with them.

they were probably using a hand line.

it's as simple as putting a chunk of bait, in their case chicken necks, on a hook, or diaper pin, or even a large paper clip on the end of a thin rope. the crabs are so eager to chow down that they will hang on all the way to the surface. if they see you, they'll let go. but if you hide behind the gunnel, you can flip them into your boat, or onto the shore where you can catch them.

my wife is excellent at this. she carefully pulls them up, flips them into the boat, then runs around screaming until i grab them and put them in a bucket.

i use the same bait but in traps, and she outcrabs me with a hand line every time.

professional courtesy, i say...

Any good uses for apple skins? Dd (13 months old) just started spitting them out when she eats apple. I was trying to be stubborn & hope she swallowed at least some in the process, but if there's a good use for them, maybe I'll start pealing hers.

Also, do the seeds from sweet peppers have any use? I use the seeds from hot peppers, of course, for the heat, but do bell pepper seeds have any redeeming qualities?

Apple skins can be used to make pectin, but I wouldn't do that with apples that aren't organic, considering how high apples are on the list of the dirty dozen.

Any good uses for apple skins? Dd (13 months old) just started spitting them out when she eats apple. I was trying to be stubborn & hope she swallowed at least some in the process, but if there's a good use for them, maybe I'll start pealing hers.

Also, do the seeds from sweet peppers have any use? I use the seeds from hot peppers, of course, for the heat, but do bell pepper seeds have any redeeming qualities?

As I peel apples for Shrek, I find myself eating them.

Pepper seeds...no ideas.

...Also, do the seeds from sweet peppers have any use? I use the seeds from hot peppers, of course, for the heat, but do bell pepper seeds have any redeeming qualities?

Pepper seeds are magic! If you save them and plant them in the spring, a new pepper plant will rise from the ground and present you with new peppers.:LOL:

Pepper seeds are magic! If you save them and plant them in the spring, a new pepper plant will rise from the ground and present you with new peppers.:LOL:

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO: It's 6 am, I've been up since 4, went to bed at midnight, and I'll be up for at least another 45 minutes scheduling my husband's classes for next semester because he's at work. Then who knows how long I'll get to sleep before dd wakes up for the day. I really needed that laugh! (and it was made all the more funny by my lack of sleep) Thanks!

edible food parts that many of us unnecessarily throw into the trash, and how to prepare them...

One of mine:
broccoli stems

make sure you "pare" the skin off the broccoli stem or it will be super tough. What I like to do is to marinate them well in garlic, rice vinegar, sugar, and chili oil. I eat it cold uncooked.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom