"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-20-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
Head Chef

Don't make this recipe!

How about a new thread warning people away from a recipe that just doesn't work? I like to try new recipes, and found one in an old issue of Sunset Magazine yesterday that sounded intriguing, if a little offbeat. It is called "Macaroni and Bacon Salad." I had alot of bacon to use up, so I made it, starting in the morning, so it could be well-chilled for dinner.

This recipe involved frying 8 slices of bacon, then making a roux of flour and sugar from the drippings, adding water and vinegar and then cooking it for a few minutes to get rid of the flour taste. You let this cool, then add it to cold, cooked macaroni, chopped onion and celery. That's it. I also added some chopped hard cooked agg and diced red peppers.

When DH tasted it, he said, "What's in this?" I told him.

"Hmmm," he said. "Tastes like cold bacon gravy."

That's just what it was. Blecchhh.

The dogs loved it, and we had the rest of the home made vanilla ice cream for dinner.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Well...since taste is a very personal thing I wouldn't want to be influenced by someone's indifference or dislike to a particular recipe. I was told one time not to order this particular shrimp and pasta dish because it was too spicy. I ordered it anyway. Yes, it had spices in it, but, it by no means was too spicy (I thought heat spicy anyway and it had NO heat at all) and was actually quite wonderful. Apparently the person who offered up this "advice" didn't like much flavor.

Was your recipe supposed to be served warm/room temp versus straight out of the refrigerator? That would make a HUGE difference.

OK, I just looked up the recipe and I do believe it probably shouldn't be served cold. If you have any left I would heat it to melt the dressing a bit.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
Head Chef

Yes, you are right about personal taste, Kitchenelf. There are plenty of things that I like that others might not - I would have enjoyed the spicy shrimp, for example. Maybe serving it at room temp would help the gluey texture of the dressing, and I know that there is a popular cooked salad dressing that came out of the 50s-60s (or maybe earlier). Nope - none left. The three dogs ate it enthusiastically.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I guess the waitress that described the shrimp salad to me used the term "spicy" differently than I would use it. I was expecting it to be hot spicy - not just spicy as in a bit of old bay

Old 05-20-2008, 10:12 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I always make a point of asking for clarification when someone asks if a particular food is "spicy". I'll ask if they mean "spicy hot", or "spicy flavor". Take, for instance, a couple nights ago. One of the waitresses asked if a new menu item, our "Spice Grilled Chicken", was really spicy. I asked for clarification, stating that while it's not "hot", it is full of flavor from sweet and savory spices and herbs (the dish is north African), and has a definite, unique flavor. The question was asked on behalf of a 12 y.o. child. They ended up ordering something else.

I guess some folks cannot separate "spicy flavor" from "spicy heat".

If I make a recipe from my files, and it doesn't work out, I'll make a note of it on the software copy, the results, why I think it happened, and what action should be taken next time (if ever).

If I make a recipe that is NOT in my files, and it doesn't work out, it usually goes to File 13. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:21 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I'm getting there with my 8 year old. Spices are not always spicy hot. Cinnamon helps with that lesson. He loves it, it's a spice. So he's learning the difference between seasoning spice and spicy hot.

ANyway we made a casserole from Allrecipes a few years ago, DH picked it. I think it was called Aunt Flo's Shipwreck.
I don't like to post comments on things when I have nothing good to say, I feel bad. But, that was BAD FOOD!! Supposed to be an embelleshed goulash I think. Yuck. DH is not allowed to pick without running it by me to this day. :)
Old 05-20-2008, 02:45 PM   #7
Senior Cook

The sauce for the macaroni sound like the same you make up for German potato salad. Try using hot macaroni, the flavors will be absorbed into the pasta, and serve it warm.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #8
Head Chef

I did mix it into hot macaroni...I guess it's just a matter of personal taste. After DH said "cold bacon gravy" and I realized that's basically what it was, it was over for me!
Old 05-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #9
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post

I guess some folks cannot separate "spicy flavor" from "spicy heat".
I think that is the difference when on a menu I would put "Moroccan spiced" v. "spicy Moroccan"

If I see spicy, I want a kick, if I see "spiced" I know it is "in the theme of".

As for do not make recipes, I never look at one and think not to make it, or if I have made it and feel it is going south, I just tweak it to suit my needs.

A recipe is not a blueprint, but a suggestion, imo.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:16 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
I did mix it into hot macaroni...I guess it's just a matter of personal taste. After DH said "cold bacon gravy" and I realized that's basically what it was, it was over for me!
I thought the issue though was that you served it "well chilled". That would make a huge difference in mouth feel, especially! Warmed bacon grease, i.e., hot bacon spinach salad, would be terrible if the bacon grease was cold. I would think the same would go for serving this chilled.