Double this bread recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xCJ

Assistant Cook
I'd like to be able to use this bread recipe to make 2 loaves at a time, but I was thinking that 10 tsps of sugar would be alot? Is there any proportion? Here is the recipe:

Homemade Bread: Cheap, Delicious, Healthy, and Easier Than You Think - The Simple Dollar

and the ingredients:

1/4 cup milk
5 teaspoons sugar (or 1 1/2 tablespoons)
1 teaspoons salt
5 teaspoons butter (or 1 1/2 tablespoons)
1 package active dry yeast (you can get yeast near the flour at your local grocery store)
2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups flour (get unbleached white for your first attempt)
Corn starch or nonstick cooking spray (just to prevent the bread from sticking to the bowl or pan)

I only add a small amount of sugar to feed the yeast, when I proof it. I think the original 1 1/2 tablespoons is more than enough for two loaves, I would probably use one tablespoon even in the double batch. I'm assuming that you have left out an amount of water or other liquid from the above recipe.

The only other liquid that goes in this recipe is the hot water used to activate the yeast.

I'm trying this recipe tonight. Seems to be working out pretty well. A nice rise and its in the oven now. I'm using a cast iron bread pan for the first time. I will post a pic later.
If I were to double this recipe, I would stick to the recipe and add the 10 tsp of sugar. You can always adjust later.

Every recipe is different. There are probably some recipes that call for less sugar, but the one you are using calls for 5 teaspoons for sugar. If you feel 10 teaspoons is too much sugar because you are doubling, you might be creating a different recipe.

I'd like to be able to use this bread recipe to make 2 loaves at a time, but I was thinking that 10 tsps of sugar would be alot? Is there any proportion? Here is the recipe:

Homemade Bread: Cheap, Delicious, Healthy, and Easier Than You Think - The Simple Dollar

and the ingredients:

1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoons salt
1 package active dry yeast (you can get yeast near the flour at your local grocery store)
Corn starch or nonstick cooking spray (just to prevent the bread from sticking to the bowl or pan)

You've chosen to make a rich, soft sweet loaf. Stick to the recipe and don't alter the sugar.

If it comes out too sweet, I would suggest looking for another recipe.

Last edited:
pic 2
39817-albums888-picture5826.jpg

and the ingredients:

1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoons salt
There seems an excessive amount of sugar unless it's some sort of sweet bread. I usually only use teaspoon full in a lot more dough than this.

Don't double up on the yeast either. The bigger the batch of dough the less yeast you need (if that makes sense!). I'd still only use the one sachet if you double the amount of other ingredients. The recipe uses, at the most. under a pound of flour. One sachet of yeast will be ample for 2lbs of flour.

There seems an excessive amount of sugar unless it's some sort of sweet bread. I usually only use teaspoon full in a lot more dough than this.

Do you use that much butter in your dough?

Recipes that use that much butter and sugar are after a sweetish bread with a rich, soft crumb.

More like a Parker House roll than crusty artisanal bread, which uses a lean dough with little or no sugar.

Do you use that much butter in your dough?

Recipes that use that much butter and sugar are after a sweetish bread with a rich, soft crumb.

More like a Parker House roll than crusty artisanal bread, which uses a lean dough with little or no sugar.

Hi Jen, Doesn't seem like too much to me 1 Tbsp 2 tsp. The only thing I might change or should add is 1 egg for a softer crust. I'll try that next time and let you know.

For a softer crust try running a stick of cold butter over the loaf when you pull it from the oven or paint it with some milk.

Hi Jen, Doesn't seem like too much to me 1 Tbsp 2 tsp. The only thing I might change or should add is 1 egg for a softer crust. I'll try that next time and let you know.

Except that the artisanal, crusty bread she's talking about contains only flour, yeast, salt and water, and maybe olive oil. Adding butter and sugar changes the texture and flavor, making it a sweet bread dough, as several people have said. It all depends on what your goal is.

Except that the artisanal, crusty bread she's talking about contains only flour, yeast, salt and water, and maybe olive oil. Adding butter and sugar changes the texture and flavor, making it a sweet bread dough, as several people have said. It all depends on what your goal is.

Yes! :)

Back
Top Bottom