Dredging idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
Why can't I go ahead season my flour when I dredge stuff?

and make a seasoned flour container, so basicually I would have 2 containers of flour one seasoned and one not?

What does everyone think?

No reason you couldn't do that. It is so easy to season it as you need it though so why take up the extra space of having to store two of the same thing basically?

No reason you couldn't do that. It is so easy to season it as you need it though so why take up the extra space of having to store two of the same thing basically?
Well one will be for cakes, pizza's, breads, and the other one will be for corn dogs, onion rings, and fish.

So I wouldn't want to use the seasoned one for a cake I am making since it could turn out bad!

I understand why you want the seasoned and unseasoned. That is not what I am asking. What I am saying is that is is so simple to make the needed amount of seasoned flour when you need it that why would you want to mix it up ahead of time and have to store both seasoned and unseasoned all the time. It takes up more space and really does not save you any real time. Sure it will save you about 3 seconds, but is that worth having to take up the extra space of storing two things of flour when you could just store one and make the seasoned flour when you need it.

I understand why you want the seasoned and unseasoned. That is not what I am asking. What I am saying is that is is so simple to make the needed amount of seasoned flour when you need it that why would you want to mix it up ahead of time and have to store both seasoned and unseasoned all the time. It takes up more space and really does not save you any real time. Sure it will save you about 3 seconds, but is that worth having to take up the extra space of storing two things of flour when you could just store one and make the seasoned flour when you need it.
Oh I see what your saying GB, Yeah I could make it up as soon as I need to use it and as you pointed out it wouldn't take up a lot of room like my idea would!

Thanks GB.

Also, you may want to season flour differently for different uses. You could use one seasoning mix for fish and another for onion rings, etc.

Hey Andy that's a good idea, but it sounds time consuming?

Not at all.

By seasoning as needed, you can use different seasoning recipes as appropriate to the dish, and it's no more time consuming.

Example:

When I batter-fry chicken fingers, I use a basic mix of flour, paprika, salt, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder.

However, if I'm looking to do fish for fish tacos, I'll use cumin instead of paprika, leave out the cayenne, and add a touch of ground celery seed.

Meanwhile, I also like to do veal piccata, and I'll dredge that in a very simple flour with just salt, pepper, and a touch of dried and crushed rosemary.

So by assembling a "pre-mixed" seasoned flour, you're actually limiting your options as to flavor combinations.

Not at all.

By seasoning as needed, you can use different seasoning recipes as appropriate to the dish, and it's no more time consuming.

Example:

When I batter-fry chicken fingers, I use a basic mix of flour, paprika, salt, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder.

However, if I'm looking to do fish for fish tacos, I'll use cumin instead of paprika, leave out the cayenne, and add a touch of ground celery seed.

Meanwhile, I also like to do veal piccata, and I'll dredge that in a very simple flour with just salt, pepper, and a touch of dried and crushed rosemary.

So by assembling a "pre-mixed" seasoned flour, you're actually limiting your options as to flavor combinations.
I see what you mean Metal, That's kind of what I do now

I like to season the item (meat) then flour it. Sometimes I don't use up all the dredging flour and the seasoning is wasted. But at times, I've been careful and not used a whole lot of flour, and it works O.K.

I keep a pound of House of Autry Medium Hot Breader in my pantry. Superb stuff, worth a try if you can find it. Nice bite but not too hot.

Back
Top Bottom