Dried beef - Where to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donsabi

Assistant Cook
I am trying to find a quality dried beef to use for chipped beef, (SOS). I know there is a bottle of compressed chemical waste they are calling dried beef. I am looking for the kind that is sold in the refrigerated section or sliced at the deli counter. From the web I can see that Shoprite super markets sells it but I am no where near a Shoprite. I also found atasteofphilly who sell it but at such an inflated cost I could drive to PA and buy it cheaper. I am hoping someone knows where I can order it from at a reasonable cost. Thanks.

I am trying to find a quality dried beef to use for chipped beef, (SOS). I know there is a bottle of compressed chemical waste they are calling dried beef. I am looking for the kind that is sold in the refrigerated section or sliced at the deli counter. From the web I can see that Shoprite super markets sells it but I am no where near a Shoprite. I also found atasteofphilly who sell it but at such an inflated cost I could drive to PA and buy it cheaper. I am hoping someone knows where I can order it from at a reasonable cost. Thanks.

Here is a link to Knauss Foods. The phone number for their mail order is near the bottom of the page. It also says Wegman's carries it if there is a Wegman's near you.

http://www.knaussfoods.com/public/page.aspx?PageID=1002

Last edited:
+1 (The Hormel product is pretty poor and not that reasonably priced)

+1 (The Hormel product is pretty poor and not that reasonably priced)

There used to be a brand that you could buy in almost any grocery store. It was in a kind of shrink wrapped pkg. Haven't seen it in more years than I can say. It was the real thing, and we occasionally enjoyed having SOS for supper.

Couldn't agree more, donsabi. When I lived in Washington, DC, I easily round Carson's Dried Beef in the same package you are describing. When I moved here, only the crap in glass jars was available here, so I ended up ordering online from the producer.

Fiona is right Knauss would be something to try. Some time ago Knauss purchased the Carson's product and sells, what I would believe, as good quality dried beef as the Carson's one.

There's no Shoprite near us either, nor a Wegman's. However, if I'm correct, Wegman's is an east coast chain, which would eliminate one near you or me.

PrincessFiona60,

Thanks for the link. I did not see the place on their website where one could order their products. However, I did send them an email requesting purchase information. I will post the answer when I get it.

Katie H,

I did find it online at a site called something like atasteofphilly.com. The price was outrageous.

Has anyone made dried beef successfully? I tried once when I had a smoker and although most of my smoker adventures worked out well my attempt at dried beef
was a disaster.

Back
Top Bottom