"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 05-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
Senior Cook
I know, I wash my hands so much whilst I'm cooking. I've got some hemp hand cream that I'm using, does the job!

Fabiabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:23 PM   #12
Sous Chef
I wear gloves when I do chores and drink lots and lots of water. As long as I stick to those 2 things I rarely need lotion. Occasionally in the winter when they air gets really dry I put some cocoa butter on my hands before bed. When I wake up they're silky again. I've been told by 2 dermatologists and even a couple estheticians (even though it's really their job to sell products) that most "dry skin" isn't actually dry skin, it's dehydrated skin. Granted, washing and washing does tend to strip some oils, but hydrated skin will still hold up better to all that abuse!

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
If you have to wash your hands repeatedly all day long, the best thing is to use warm, not hot water. It's the hot water that can really strip your hands of their natural oils.

When my hands are very dry and chapped, I use Shikai Dry Skin Therapy Borage Oil Lotion. It was the only one I tried that didn't sting.

When I am not working, I wash my hands with hand lotion under warm running water. It's the scrubbing action and water that gets the germs off your hands.
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:08 AM   #14
Executive Chef
Because of the damage to the knuckles on my right hand they get dry and flaky so I pour some olive oil into a rubber glove put it on and place the gloved hand into hot water, it was my Doc recommendation. I asked her if after using her method I could play the piano, she said yes which makes it a miracle cure as I can't play the piano.
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:13 AM   #15
Master Chef
Site Moderator
One word... Palmolive.

Quoth the chicken, "Fry some more."
AB - Good Eats: Fry Hard II
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:11 AM   #16
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
I use Cetaphil cream in the tub (not the lotion in the pump, two different products). In the winter my hands get very dry and will crack and bleed, they burn like crazy too. This is the only stuff that has really worked for me. I do have to wash my hands constantly at work since I work in retail food service, so the dry winter air doesn't help much!
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:38 AM   #17
Head Chef
I can't deal with scented lotions--must be my asthma or allergies. Eucerin works well for me, and I recently found some really cheap stuff at Dollar General that reminds me of Eucerin. (Actually, it reminds me of Crisco, which would probably work just as well. )

I used to only need it in the winter, but lately my hands are dry most of the time. Couldn't be old age creeping up, could it?
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:52 AM   #18
Master Chef
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
... so I pour some olive oil into a rubber glove put it on and place the gloved hand into hot water...

You throw some Greek oregano and some basil in there too...
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #19
Head Chef

I don't know if this would work for some of us, but, I use homemade soap instead of store bought. The glycerin (a by product of soap making) is in the soap and it draws moisture to my hands.

There is a difference between a detergent and a soap, the detergent strips away the natural oils. My skin stays nicer using soap than detergents, winter long too.

I think of detergents as: dishwashing liquids, shampoos, store bought soaps.
Soaps: my homemade soaps
Things that don't harm my skin: lotions, conditioners, oils.
I've found the 'unscented lotions', aren't unscented, they still sometimes have a musk undertone (they use before adding a scent) and sometimes they have whitening agents-like zinc oxide (which kills my eyes if I get some in them).
You can make your own lotions and creams with a mixture of oil, wax and water.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:36 PM   #20
Master Chef
cetaphil as a wash @ the kitch/bathroom sinks is a great item. it's so gentle.

i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote