Dry mushroom identification help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I have a large jar of dried mushrooms. Ingredients: Porcini 25%, Shitake 25%, Yellow boletes 25%, Oyster mushrooms 25%

I think the oyster mushrooms are on the left and the I think it's shitake on the right. Is that the yellow boletes at the bottom and porcini at the top?

click the picture for a bigger view

Attachments

• IMG_2769.jpg
    IMG_2769.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Hmm, I was pretty sure about the oyster mushrooms. They are sort of funnel shaped, which doesn't show very well in the photo.

Thanks for responding.

So everyone thinks the ones on the bottom right are the oyster mushrooms, even though the ones on the bottom left are funnel shaped?

Boletes have no gills.

I got out the magnifying glass. All but the very dark ones have gills. The dark ones have pores.

I found this: Phylloporus rhodoxanthus: The "Gilled Bolete" (MushroomExpert.Com)

Those pictures of boletes don't look like the ones I found by googling bolete pix. I imagine those could dry funnel shaped. But, don't oyster mushrooms look sort of like chanterelles? Those ones on the bottom left look like they were shaped like chanterelles when they were fresh.

It's all very confusing.

I googled images for all the types and decided that way.

Is your intent to separate theme and use them individually or are you just curious?

I googled images for all the types and decided that way.

Is your intent to separate theme and use them individually or are you just curious?

I want to separate them to use that way. They don't all rehydrate at the same rate. Some start to turn to mush, while others still have hard bits.

I can find lots more recipes for dried mushrooms of specific type, than for mixed.

Also, I want to try that porcini latte that everyone has been raving about, without having to buy any. :chef:

Last night I saw on, "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" on the Food Network, was a mushroom dish that sounds like fun:
Mock Eel

Braised Shiitake mushrooms in a ginger sauce. A delightful, crispy flavor and texture.

After braising the chef took scissors to the cap and cut it in a spiral shape, about the thickness of a small eel (3/8"-1/2" across), floured it and then fried it in a wok with a ginger sauce. I'm sorry I don't have the exact recipe, because it's still listed as a menu item on "A Single Pebble", Burlington, Vermont.

Last night I saw on, "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" on the Food Network, was a mushroom dish that sounds like fun:
Mock Eel

Braised Shiitake mushrooms in a ginger sauce. A delightful, crispy flavor and texture.

After braising the chef took scissors to the cap and cut it in a spiral shape, about the thickness of a small eel (3/8"-1/2" across), floured it and then fried it in a wok with a ginger sauce. I'm sorry I don't have the exact recipe, because it's still listed as a menu item on "A Single Pebble", Burlington, Vermont.

Sounds good...looking for a ginger sauce!:pig:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom