"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-25-2010, 06:14 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Hey, I don't cook dried beans often enough to give a definitive personal answer, but I'm only quoting a source I've used in the past and had success with. As for dueling, my gun's unloaded, but I'll put my split pea soup against yours any day!

Old 08-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Hey, I don't cook dried beans often enough to give a definitive personal answer, but I'm only quoting a source I've used in the past and had success with. As for dueling, my gun's unloaded, but I'll put my split pea soup against yours any day!

I do love split pea soup!

Old 08-25-2010, 07:51 PM   #13
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Here is an authoritative reference to cooking beans from Central Bean Co.

Covers:

Old 08-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Post it on another thread. I'd really like to compare it to mine. Mine? What am I talking about. I got if from The Joy of Cooking post WWll book.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:48 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Hi..!!
I say soak overnight and rinse....know that most legumes will expand 3X so make sure you leave room in the container...rumor has it that an overnight soak will also help release the gaseous enzymes...
Old 08-26-2010, 03:43 AM   #16
Head Chef

I pre-soak according to pre-planned time frame, which method I use. The only benefit of pre-soaking is the bean skins don't separate when the beans are pre-soaked. Pre-soaking has nothing to do with gas or anything else.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:59 AM   #17
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Good Eats: Pantry Raid III - Cool Beans
Good Eats - S3E10 - Pantry Raid III - Cool Beans | Free Educational & How-To Videos - Watch Educational & How-To Videos Online | Veoh

Soaking, salt addition, an a whole lot more.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to zfranca
FROM MY FAVORITE COOKBOOK--LAUREL'S KITCHEN--
After sorting, rinse beans well to remove dirt and dust. You can soak them, if you like, for several hours; it reduces cooking time about 15 minutes.....
....A more drastic soaking procedure has been developed by USDA scientists to address the flatulence problem. They claim that their method removes 90 % of the sugars that cause intenstinal gas. If you want to try it, here's how:
Boil the beans for 10 minutes in 5 to 10 times their weight in water. (Beans weigh about half as much as water, so tha'd be 5 to 10 cups of water for a scant 2 cups of beans.) Allow them to cool and soak for 24 hours at room temperature in the same water. Discard the soak water, rinse the beans, and cook. This method does not affect protein content significantly, but there is considerable loss of minerals and vitamins.....
.....cook beans in two or more time their measure of water, simmering until tender. Add salt toward the end of cooking time--added at the beginning, salt toughens the beans and makes them take longer to cook. (Our rule of thumb is 1/2 teaspoon of salt per cup of raw beans.) A good heavy pot helps prevent scorching. Beans cook fastest if the water is simmering all the time.