Dry Rub B4 Foodsaver / Freezing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mugsy27

Sous Chef
hey all..didnt know which forum this should be in, so feel free to move if necessary...

i was just given a 1 year old... but NEVER USED food saver!! :)

i went to costco and bought a 10 Lb. pork shoulder (for pulled pork) and cut it into 2 pieces. i want to freeze it for future use...but i was wondering if i should dry rub it b4 i vaccum seal it, or after it thaws...

any advise / tips and tricks for using this thing would be greatly appreciated!!

TIA!!!

I would think that putting on a dry rub prior to freezing would render a mushy rub after you thaw it. I personally wouldn't do it. Just my $.02.

I would do it after it thaws

Since it's going to be frozen, I don't think much will happen. If you do rub it B4 freezing, rub it again afer it's thawed.

mugsy27 said:
i was just given a 1 year old... but NEVER USED food saver!! :)

TIA!!!

NICE!!!!! Can't beat that! As for the rub, I have often thought about doing this, but never have. So if you try it, you need to let me know how it goes.

Personally - I would just package it without any seasonings. You might change your mind about the flavors you want between "now and then".

I do not think much harm would come from rubbing first and then freezing, but I would still probably rub after the fact instead.

A friend gave us one of those "flavor wave" ovens, they suggest cutting chickens in half, rubbing or seasoning them, and then vac. sealing them so you can just grab a couple half chickens and throw them in the oven without thawing . . . would seem to me that putting a rub on before freezing would be fine. :)

I don't think it will make any difference one way or another. The rub gets mushy anyway once it is on the meat.

Back
Top Bottom