Dry White Wine Substitution For An AA Member

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
YT2095 said:
Kitchenelf, ok cool, I understand a little now, sometimes I think Too much Science, Lab work and techniques, and perhaps forget the Human side of things, I never knew the Taste even though 100% alc free could trigger such a response :(
Sorry about that, it Was posted with the best of intentions though.

No problem at all YT2095 - even reduced wine still has some alcohol and leaves this wonderful wine flavor, which that is what the majority of us are after - that reduced wine flavor versus reducing the alcohol content.

I just felt passionate for a moment! :) Thanks for not ripping my head off and telling me to get off my soap box! :angel: Climbing off my soapbox now but carrying it with me for security! :ROFLMAO:

I worked in a fine French-type restaurant and never got any orders for "no alcohol" in the dish. I would imagine it might come on the ticket in the form of "no sauce", or something similar. Just guessing here though.

Alcohol In Foods

When I first saw this, I was surprised at the remaining percentages!

When alcohol is added to a dish, some of it evaporates and some remains behind in the dish. How much remains behind depends on how long the dish is cooked after the addition of alcohol.

Cooking Method
Alcohol Remaining
Alcohol added to boiling liquid and removed from the heat
85%
Flamed
75%
Stirred in and baked or simmered for:
15 minutes
40%
30 minutes
35%
45 minutes
30%
1 hour
25%
1 1/2 hours
20%
2 hours
10%
2 1/2 hours
5%

Have you tried any of the de-alcoholized wines that are available in grocery stores? Some of them are pretty good. At least you get a closer flavour than apple juice.

Boiling/simmering alcoholic drinks never completely drives off the alcohol. And it is not "necessary" if this person needs to not have alcohol.
I agree with maybe a bit of apple juice or for coquille, seafood broth.

andy m.: the 5% is 5% of the alc content to begin with (and I`m sure outside a Lab you`ll never encounter 100% pure alc) what is wine? maybe 10% alc total?
what`s 5% of that?
Roughly the same as you`de get making your own bread! :)

as I said, I didn`t know how bad this condition was.

What those percentages mean is what % of the original alcohol amount remains.

In other words, If you add a cup of white wine to a dish (13% alcohol) about 2 tablespoons is actual alcohol in the wine. After simmering for an hour, 25% of that 2 tablespoons remains in the dish or about a half tablespoon.

As Krishelle mentioned, there are non-alcoholic wines available in most stores.

I have never made the dish, but I substitute low sodium chicken broth in recipes that call for white wine. We are not big wine drinkers, and I hate to open a whole bottle, when I only need one cup. And quite frankly, I prefer the flavor of the chicken broth in a lot of recipes.

Wow.
I've just read through 3 pages of brilliant answers, and the original poster has not replied yet! I'm really impressed, and yet I still wonder WHY she doesn't want to use white wine.

Most probably you've all hit the nail on the head, but maybe, just maybe, the poster doesn't have any white wine at home.

Now comes the $64,000 question.

Is Coquilles St Jacques the same dish without white wine? I think not...

cliveb said:
Wow.
I've just read through 3 pages of brilliant answers, and the original poster has not replied yet! I'm really impressed, and yet I still wonder WHY she doesn't want to use white wine.

Most probably you've all hit the nail on the head, but maybe, just maybe, the poster doesn't have any white wine at home.

Now comes the $64,000 question.

Is Coquilles St Jacques the same dish without white wine? I think not...

Clive - the OP's title says it all - Dry White Wine Substitution for an AA Member - AA stands for Alcoholics Anonymous. This person is a recovering alcoholic so she is trying to be thoughtful. Hence the best OTHER option she has and still make the dish. Personally, I still like lthe apple juice/chicken broth/lemon juice.

substitute for dry white wine

Thanks Kitchenelf, The apple cider and vinegar worked great with my coquilles St Jacques! The recipe called for 3/4 cup of dry white wine so I used 1/2 cup of cider and 1/4 cup of cider vinegar. I could not tell the difference. Thanks for your help. :chef: It worked well with the fresh lemon juice and cream sauce.

kitchenelf said:
Clive - the OP's title says it all - Dry White Wine Substitution for an AA Member - AA stands for Alcoholics Anonymous. This person is a recovering alcoholic so she is trying to be thoughtful. Hence the best OTHER option she has and still make the dish. Personally, I still like lthe apple juice/chicken broth/lemon juice.

Kitchenelf - please strike me firmly across the back of the head with a baseball bat..:ohmy: I completely missed the AA line...:wacko:

White Wine Substitution For Aa Member

KITCHENELF, Thanks for your thoughtfull reply . My husband has been in a rehab facility for 9 weeks and is just coming home for weekends. He is eager for home cooked familiar meals but is terrified he will want to drink again or that his urine will show some trace of alcohol.
SEVEN S, People in early recovery who follow the AA program are not allowed to go to restaurants that even serve alcohol, as people progress in the program they are allowed to go to "better" restaurants. I believe they are even allowed to have wine sauces that we all know no longer have any traces of alcohol. My husbands drink of choice was Merlot so wine sauces would be a big temptation.

I didn't read every entry, so forgive me if I'm repeating. But Vermouth and other fortified wines are MORE alcholic than regular wine. My choice would be a touch of aged vinegar. It won't go measure-for-measure, and won't be the same. Nothing will be the same. That's the point. I've had friends who couldn't keep vanilla extract in the house. But I've never heard of anyone downing a bottle of balsamic or going on a binge after a taste of it. My heart goes out to you. Alcohol is defintely a weakness of mine as well.

mamabailly said:
SEVEN S, People in early recovery who follow the AA program are not allowed to go to restaurants that even serve alcohol, as people progress in the program they are allowed to go to "better" restaurants. I believe they are even allowed to have wine sauces that we all know no longer have any traces of alcohol. My husbands drink of choice was Merlot so wine sauces would be a big temptation.

Thanks Mamabailly, I didnt know that. My sincere wishes go out to you for your husband's prompt recovery and successful rehabilitation.

1. Non alcoholic wines have trace amounts of alcohol, making them unsuitable for this purpose.

2. Make something else. There's plenty of wonderful foods that require neither alcohol nor alcohol substitutes.

I have seen alcohol free wine, in the shops, if it is not a problem, for u to browse, in the alchol section of the supermarket.
Also, when u cook the dish, the alchol will evaporate, from the wine. So if it is OK, for u to have wine, in the house, then i think it will be alright, to use it in the cooking.

Mel

Alcohol will form what`s known as an "Azeotrpoe" with water, you cannot get rid of it 100% with heating, just drop it to (for most purposes) insignificant levels, sadly there is NO level insignificant level for a recovering alcoholic :(
(I`ve done a little research since I saw this thread).

Mamabailly, 9 weeks dry! that is no trivial acheivement! he deserves plenty of praise for this, my hat is off to the guy :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom