"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-09-2006, 09:01 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveb
Wow.
I've just read through 3 pages of brilliant answers, and the original poster has not replied yet! I'm really impressed, and yet I still wonder WHY she doesn't want to use white wine.

Most probably you've all hit the nail on the head, but maybe, just maybe, the poster doesn't have any white wine at home.

Now comes the $64,000 question.

Is Coquilles St Jacques the same dish without white wine? I think not...

Clive - the OP's title says it all - Dry White Wine Substitution for an AA Member - AA stands for Alcoholics Anonymous. This person is a recovering alcoholic so she is trying to be thoughtful. Hence the best OTHER option she has and still make the dish. Personally, I still like lthe apple juice/chicken broth/lemon juice.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:37 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

substitute for dry white wine

Thanks Kitchenelf, The apple cider and vinegar worked great with my coquilles St Jacques! The recipe called for 3/4 cup of dry white wine so I used 1/2 cup of cider and 1/4 cup of cider vinegar. I could not tell the difference. Thanks for your help. It worked well with the fresh lemon juice and cream sauce.

Old 10-10-2006, 05:10 AM   #33
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
Clive - the OP's title says it all - Dry White Wine Substitution for an AA Member - AA stands for Alcoholics Anonymous. This person is a recovering alcoholic so she is trying to be thoughtful. Hence the best OTHER option she has and still make the dish. Personally, I still like lthe apple juice/chicken broth/lemon juice.
Kitchenelf - please strike me firmly across the back of the head with a baseball bat.. I completely missed the AA line...
Old 10-10-2006, 07:31 AM   #34
Assistant Cook

White Wine Substitution For Aa Member

KITCHENELF, Thanks for your thoughtfull reply . My husband has been in a rehab facility for 9 weeks and is just coming home for weekends. He is eager for home cooked familiar meals but is terrified he will want to drink again or that his urine will show some trace of alcohol.
SEVEN S, People in early recovery who follow the AA program are not allowed to go to restaurants that even serve alcohol, as people progress in the program they are allowed to go to "better" restaurants. I believe they are even allowed to have wine sauces that we all know no longer have any traces of alcohol. My husbands drink of choice was Merlot so wine sauces would be a big temptation.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:50 AM   #35
Master Chef

I didn't read every entry, so forgive me if I'm repeating. But Vermouth and other fortified wines are MORE alcholic than regular wine. My choice would be a touch of aged vinegar. It won't go measure-for-measure, and won't be the same. Nothing will be the same. That's the point. I've had friends who couldn't keep vanilla extract in the house. But I've never heard of anyone downing a bottle of balsamic or going on a binge after a taste of it. My heart goes out to you. Alcohol is defintely a weakness of mine as well.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:46 AM   #36
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabailly
SEVEN S, People in early recovery who follow the AA program are not allowed to go to restaurants that even serve alcohol, as people progress in the program they are allowed to go to "better" restaurants. I believe they are even allowed to have wine sauces that we all know no longer have any traces of alcohol. My husbands drink of choice was Merlot so wine sauces would be a big temptation.
Thanks Mamabailly, I didnt know that. My sincere wishes go out to you for your husband's prompt recovery and successful rehabilitation.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:42 AM   #37
Senior Cook

1. Non alcoholic wines have trace amounts of alcohol, making them unsuitable for this purpose.

2. Make something else. There's plenty of wonderful foods that require neither alcohol nor alcohol substitutes.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:57 AM   #38
Sous Chef

I have seen alcohol free wine, in the shops, if it is not a problem, for u to browse, in the alchol section of the supermarket.
Also, when u cook the dish, the alchol will evaporate, from the wine. So if it is OK, for u to have wine, in the house, then i think it will be alright, to use it in the cooking.

Mel
Old 10-11-2006, 08:28 AM   #39
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel!
when u cook the dish, the alchol will evaporate, from the wine.
Mel, this is actually not true. Read post #22 above to see the reality.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:16 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Alcohol will form what`s known as an "Azeotrpoe" with water, you cannot get rid of it 100% with heating, just drop it to (for most purposes) insignificant levels, sadly there is NO level insignificant level for a recovering alcoholic :(
(I`ve done a little research since I saw this thread).

Mamabailly, 9 weeks dry! that is no trivial acheivement! he deserves plenty of praise for this, my hat is off to the guy :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote