Drying tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
Hubbie brought me a dehydrated as I grow a lot of herb and always dried a lot of them, he thought I might like it. So far has been fun.
I have a lot of tomatoes this year, already made a lot of sauce. I love sun dried tomatoes in olive oil. My question is how do you think they would be if I dried them in the dehydrator and then put in a canning jar covered in oil. would like to make a few jars. Is there and process I should do for this. What do you think?
Thanks all

Congrats on the new kitchen toy! [emoji2] My mom gave me a dehydrator a few years ago. I need to use it more.

The National Center for Home Food Preservation does not recommend preserving dried tomatoes in oil at home because of the risk of botulism. You can dry them, store them and put them in oil for a few days before you want to use them. Here's more information: http://nchfp.uga.edu/tips/summer/home_preserv_tomatoes.html

Or there are lots of other ways to preserve them. I like to cut them in half and grate them on a box grater, then freeze them in two-cup portions. Then I have fresh-tasting tomatoes to use in any dish that calls for a can of diced tomatoes.

I dry mine i my dehydrator then store someone the fridge in olive oil and garlic ( Which Ill use relatively quickly). The others I freeze after drying, and use them as needed throughout the year.

Thank you, Its been fun playing with it. I don't use a lot of celery but when I make soups I always forget to get some. the store had them on sale for $1.00 a bunch and I dried 2 bunches cut up and it came out great. Couple days later I added some to a beef stew I was making and worked out great.

Back
Top Bottom