"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 02-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
Senior Cook
You are right LOL I just hate to either misspell it or run to find the correct spelling

oneoffour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #12
Sous Chef
I buy them at my neighborhood Publix all the time. And when I lived in Shelby, NC, the Harris Teeter always carried them, and Shelby certainly wasn't the center of gourmet dining!

Silversage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:52 PM   #13
Master Chef
Site Administrator
I think Andy M is pretty close on it. In demand and the grocery store will stock it. If not and asking is likely to get it ordered for you.

There are stores here that I know will have something that the others won't, only one store in this area stocks fresh pork liver though I suspect they will all tell me they can order it.
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:13 AM   #14
Master Chef
I live in a small town, and have never seen duck breasts anywhere around here, and only once before I moved here. I suspect I could kidnap the two local managers of the grocery stores we have (a Wal-Mart and a Piggly-Wiggly) and hold them for ransom before I could get duck breasts. They've even quit giving out suggestion forms that they used to formally ask for them to stock products. But, to be fair, there probably isn't enough of a market here for them. I very, very, very rarely see a whole, frozen duck here, and it is always when there is no room in the freezer and the wrong time for me to cook one.

BUT ... score the skin in a sort of diamond pattern. Season with salt and pepper. Then put in a skillet skin side down at med-high heat until the skin browns nicely. Turn down, turn over, and cook until it is done to your favorite degree of ... well, done-ness (surely there is a word for that, but mine is escaping me now).

You can put one duck breast on each plate, but it is fairly rich, and I prefer to slice it on the diagonal and fan it, and that way you can make (depending on the duck, and there's a lot of difference) it go for 3 or even 4 people that way. Drizzle with a sauce of your choice. Most like sauces that have fruit in them and are rather sweet. I prefer a less sweet presentation, the fruit being a dry red wine.

I think that a long grain and wild rice combo is the best side dish with duck of any sort. A light tossed baby green salad before, some green veg with, and a light, very light, desert after.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote