"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Duck Breasts

is it possible to buy duck breasts? my local supermarkets tend to have whole, frozen ducks, but not a package of breasts....any major chains tend to carry them? whole foods maybe? though butchers arent terribly popular by me, there is one within driving distance, so maybe its worth heading there

also, i want to grill them...never made this before - any recipes or hints on cooking it properly?

Old 02-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I buy duck breasts all the time. If your supermarket doesn't carry them, ask the meat manager to get them for you.

I tend to pan sear them but you certainly can grill them. the significant amount of fat under the skin will cause a lot of flare-ups on a grill. You may want to par cook them to render some of the fat off before going to the grill.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Our local regular grocery stores sell the frozen whole ducks (bought one last night!) and the high end psudeo-gourmet grocery store sells breasts. I don't remember what the cost was though, but it wasn't cheap (not that that would stop me).
Old 02-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
Senior Cook

good to know...i have a bunch of stores near me, so maybe ill just try another

can it be cooked to temp? its always still a bit red/pink when i order them, but that doesnt mean they arent fully cooked...the meat might just be that way?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't regularly shop at a "high end psudeo-gourmet grocery store". Actually, it's more of a middle of the road mainstream store and they have had the breasts for a while. I have to assume that's because there is a demand for them. They are pre-packaged by the processing plant, not sold loose by the store.

Cook the breasts to a medium doneness - pink in the middle. They will look well done - no pink - when cooked that way.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
Sous Chef

I guess it just depends. Around here, ducks of any kind are uncommon and duck breasts might as well be an urban legend.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
Senior Cook

hmm, guess they didnt like my original title....oh well

well, you would think since i live on Long Island, i would be able to find duck more easily....i guess i just need to look more carefully

or buy a shotgun and get some myself
Old 02-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoodleIncident View Post
...well, you would think since i live on Long Island, i would be able to find duck more easily...
Today's supermarkets are all about serving the majority. However, around here, they are always very helpful when you ask them for something special. I have asked a meat manager for duck breasts and he offered to order me as many or few as I wanted. He offered to buy a box of them and sell me one and put the rest out for sale. They will grind whole pieces of meat for you or order just about any specialty item.

They are eager to please. At least they should be.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #9
Senior Cook

MDW and I go to a local farmers market. A farm vendor has fresh duck Musc... something. Breast and fresh duck liver. Made a duck liver mousse that was delightful. Below NYC in Griggstown NJ there is a farm for duck quail, turkey and if I remember goose. The place is between Somerville and Princeton
Old 02-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneoffour View Post
MDW and I go to a local farmers market. A farm vendor has fresh duck Musc... something...
I think it might have been Muscovy Duck.