Duck Fat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
For a long time now, I've been hearing celebrity chefs tout the splendors of duck fat. Well, to be honest, I just don't cook much duck and in the past have always considered the fat to be a nasty byproduct. It was black sludge you tossed out because there was several quarts of it left in the pan after cooking the duck - enough to keep a small car lubricated. :LOL:

Last weekend, I cooked duck breasts for 8 guests and made a conscious effort not to overheat the fat and continually strain it off as it was rendering. Then I clarified it and put it in the fridge for safekeeping. The next day I made oven roasted potatoes with some of the fat.

Oh my goodness. This stuff is delicious. :pig: The cooking qualities remind me very much of lard, which I also use regularly, but more flavorful and rich.

I've been cooking everything in it this week, from eggs to potatoes to oven roasted cauliflower. Yum.

I know there was a thread on this last year. But I am just wondering how many current members use it... and what other creative things do you make with it? I still have around two full cups left in the fridge.

I like duck fat and goose fat. We can also buy it in tins and jars here.

Must admit I only use it for roast potatoes as it does give such a good crispy result.

I used semolina once for crunchy roast potatoes (a Nigella Lawson recommendation). My husband broke his tooth on them.

Duck fat is far safer.

Steve,

If you do a little googling you will find many recipes that use duck fat for baking. Things like cookies and pie crust. I have never used it because I never cook duck but I do use chicken fat and bacon fat for those types of things.

Steve...

Save it... Then...

CONFIT!

I think it might be the most perfect ever... (Or at least the most perfect that doesn't include cheese).

IF I was allowed...I'd be using it for all kinds of things. Why didn't I know about duck fat BEFORE I couldn't have it!

Steve,

If you do a little googling you will find many recipes that use duck fat for baking. Things like cookies and pie crust. I have never used it because I never cook duck but I do use chicken fat and bacon fat for those types of things.
Mmmm.... pies... :yum:

Maybe Cornish pasties this weekend.

Steve,

oh yes, I use duck/goose fat for pastry.I love to use it in hot water crust.
Ps I am an avid schmaltz collector as my wife is prone to bronchitis:ermm:

Steve...

Save it... Then...

CONFIT!

I think it might be the most perfect ever... (Or at least the most perfect that doesn't include cheese).
oh yes

Place any firm white fish in a vacpack bag a add a tbls of fat seal and poach:yum:

:ohmy:

Obviously these guys don't eat their own food, or they would weigh 300 lbs.

Also, I could never deep fry anything in duck fat. I'm just too darn stingy with the stuff.

steve, how do you deal with the smell of the cooking ducks? do you have very good ventilation?

i've been forbidden to cook duck ever again in the house because the smell of the fat stayed for several days, even with all of the windows open and the ventilator fan going.

:ohmy:

Obviously these guys don't eat their own food, or they would weigh 300 lbs.

Also, I could never deep fry anything in duck fat. I'm just too darn stingy with the stuff.

You can get Rendered, and refined Duck Fat at places like Whole Foods, and even Trader Joes. No need to be stingy:chef:

At a couple of my units, Wednesday is Duck Fat Fried Pommes Frites, with Sea Salt and typically a few house made condiments. Trust me, give it a whirl, it's the stuff dreams are made of, lol.

Bucky, Having the duck cleaned properly helps with the smell, and like I just mentioned above, if you are in it for the fat, the rendered/refined stuff REALLY isn't as strong as doing it yourself. Also, when doing whole ducks, or any cuts with the bones, just like a bone in chicken smells much more like Chicken, than just a boneless & skinless breast which is fairly benign in odor by comparison so, bone OUT if the fam doesn't dig the aroma.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom