Duck fat, pricing feedback please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Is $27 for a 7.5 pound tub of rendered duck fat a good deal? Never bought any before.

Last edited:
That's a lot of duck fat! Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Do you have enough room to store it?

That's a lot of duck fat! Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Do you have enough room to store it?

Duck fat must be pretty dense. The container isn't a whole lot bigger than a bluebell gallon of ice cream, just MAYBE half again taller.

$3.60/Lb seems OK. Whatcha gonna do with it?

Fries first and foremost, have always wanted to try them. Confits. It apparently can be used interchangeably with butter and is lower in saturated fats so can be used in biscuits, savory pastries, etc. It can also be frozen in portion sizes so can go in deep freeze. Been doing a little research before buying.

Duck fat must be pretty dense. The container isn't a whole lot bigger than a bluebell gallon of ice cream, just MAYBE half again taller.
Sounds less dense than butter. There's 2 cups in 1 lb of butter, so 7.5 lbs of butter would be 15 cups, which is just short of a gallon.

I wouldn't say it's as versatile as butter, but duck fat is really good for certain things. It's heavenly on roasted potatoes, and if you're a breakfast person, try frying eggs in it. Last night we had steaks on the grill. Before throwing them on, I melted a little duck fat in the microwave and brushed it on the meat. It created a nice brown, flavorful crust on those steaks.

Sounds less dense than butter. There's 2 cups in 1 lb of butter, so 7.5 lbs of butter would be 15 cups, which is just short of a gallon.

Well I thought the Bluebell was a gallon but it is actually a-half gallon. We bought some more last night for peach cobbler.

I'll have to look at it closer next time we go. I just looked at weight and price. This is a wholesale place though.

You would think it would be chicken. I guess I would hope it was chicken and not something less desirable. With the amount of chicken in commercial food production, I would guess the fat it far cheaper than duck. The main markets for chicken fat are pet food and diesel full. And there is a smaller market as kosher schmaltz, where in small home cook quantities, it's a high as duck fat. In fact, the price of chicken fat as a commodity moves up and down almost exactly with the price of crude oil.

Given the price of duck fat, I would be tempted by a mix that was much cheaper, assuming that the percentage of duck fat was more than some minor part. The percentage of duck fat would have to be substantial, because there is a serious flavor difference, with duck fat being far superior. Nutritionally, they are virtually identical.

Mixing duck fat with another good frying fat, like peanut oil, works well to control cost.

Last edited:
Bought a container today. Only ingredient is duck fat. The price was $25.99 for the 7.5# container. For our limoncello, I bought a 25# bag of Domino sugar. The price was $9.39, which is $.38 per pound. They had hogfish for $4.99#, I grab a few of those.

I have no idea. Why don't you buy duck breasts and render the fat while you cook the duck?

Then it would cost $127

Bought a container today. Only ingredient is duck fat. The price was $25.99 for the 7.5# container. For our limoncello, I bought a 25# bag of Domino sugar. The price was $9.39, which is $.38 per pound. They had hogfish for $4.99#, I grab a few of those.

Sounds like a very good store. Where did you buy these items?
I wish I could find hog snappers fresh!

Back
Top Bottom