Easiest dish to cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome to Discuss Cooking!

Well there is not just one easy dish to cook. There are tons and tons of things out there to make that are very simple. What type of foods do you like/dislike?

I have moved this post to it's own thread so you will get more replies.

HI Welcome!

Two really easy things to make....

Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. Warm and toasty!

And tuna fish and noodles. Let me know if you want the recipes.

Get one of Racheal Ray's cookbooks. She cooks real food with real ingredients that are quite good. No soup or gravy mixes.

lasanga is pretty simple and ummm good, hamburgers,and tons of casseroles to fix.... good luck with your search and your marriage :)

What type of food do you like or are looking for? Casseroles are simple because you can just throw it all into a dish and bake. Pastas are usually simple as well as crock pot recipes. Here are a few other threads that you might find interesting and informative.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/getting-started-cooking-12965.html?highlight=beginner

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f24/easy-recipes-beginner-cooks-9195.html?highlight=beginner

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f24/beginner-questions-2506.html?highlight=beginner

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/looking-tried-true-quick-meals-17143.html?highlight=quick+recipes

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f15/rec-roasted-chicken-balsamic-vinaigrette-7688.html?highlight=balsamic+chicken

Corn Chowder
2 slices bacon
1 onion
1 can cream style corn
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 soup can milk

Brown bacon. Remove. Add chopped onion. Saute until soft. Add the rest of ingredients with crumbled bacon. Heat through.
- I sometimes add ham

Chili Mac
1 pkg. (16oz.) noodles
1 can enchilada sauce
1 can tomato sauce
1 lb. hamburger meat
onion
cheese grated
salt
mexicorn
-later I decided to add a taco seasoning packet to meat.

Cook noodles. drain. Mix all ingredients. Bake 350 until onions are done

Spaghetti Wrap-Ups
1 lb. ground beef or sirloin
thick spaghetti sauce
onion chopped
grated parmesan cheese
package crescent rolls

In a skillet brown onion and meat until cooked. Stir in just enough spaghetti sauce to coat meat. You don't want it too runny. Roll out the crescent rolls. Seperate them into rectangles (not triangles) the 2 triangles should make the rectangle. Push together the seams so that it is sealed. Put meat in the center. Put the other rectangle on the top and press the crecent rolles together to create a pocket witht he meat sealed inside. Sprinkle top with parmesan cheese. Bake in oven at 350 for about 13 minutes or until brown.

Hash brown casserole

It's definitly not for the dieter, but it sure is good.

1 package (32oz.) frozen hash browns thawed
1/2 cup butter melted
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 8oz. carton sour cream
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups crushed corn flakes
1 lb. beef

Combine potatoes, onion, soup, sour cream, meat and cheese. Stir

Put in casserole dish. Combine corn flakes and margarine. Sprinkle on top.
Bake at 350 for 50 minutes

Welcome aboard Chrizzle. Am sure you will like DC. Everyone here is so helpful.

Cooking can be as simple as boiling some dried spaghetti and tossing on warmed canned sauce (our favorite when we have gotten home after travelling for 12 hours or so), or adding some sliced franks to a can of beans (after 15 hours of travel), up to complex dishes that take hours to make.

And everyone on this forum started out, at some age, knowing nothing about cooking. We are all learning.

How complicated we let a dish get depends upon our experience, how much time we have, whether we think the extra effort of preparing an ingredient or dish is worth just buying the stuff, and so on.

For example, we can make eggs many ways, but if we are trying to get out of the house in real hurry in the morning will probably just scramble them with few additives.

To start out would suggest you watch some cooking shows, they are great ways to learn techniques, Google, , and maybe buy a basic cookbook.

Don't know where you are located, you did list a website with co.uk in your post so you may not be in the US (could not get that address to work), so cannot suggest a good basic book.

If you are interested there are many cooking courses given in a whole lot of different places, often for not much money. And many are oriented to the beginner.

Again welcome aboarrd and it sounds like the future Mrs. is a lucky woman.

I've noticed that crockpot recipes are easy, like pot roast and beef stew, just put the ingredients in, and turn it on low for 8 hours. And they're also really filling :)

Gretchen said:
Get one of Racheal Ray's cookbooks. She cooks real food with real ingredients that are quite good. No soup or gravy mixes.

agreed gretchen. my wife is really just learning how to cook, and she has made some really good dishes from rr "30 minute meals", I and II.

it was funny, the other night she wanted to make something, and was asking me a few questions. i guess i was tired, and i was busy doing some stuff around the house, so i just snapped back that i'd be done shortly and would take care of the cooking just as soon as i could.
she replied "well how else am i going to learn? let me do it, just help me out a little. i need to learn for you and our son."

i don't know if she's ever said such nice words to me in our entire lives together. :chef:

chrizzle, here's a really simple and inexpensive but really tasty pasta dish to make for your ball-and-chain to be. :cool: i've posted it a half dozen times before, but here it is again for you. excuse the oversimplified instructions. i copied it from a post for college kids and extreme novice cooks.

linguini alla vongole (pasta with white clam sauce)

ingredients:
1 box linguini
3 cloves garlic, smashed, skins discarded, minced
1 medium red onion, diced
1 stick butter
1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
1 can chopped clams, drained
1 can whole baby clams, including the liquid
1 bunch flat leaf parsley, washed, stems discarded, chopped, divided into 2
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil

optional, to serve on the side: extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper, italian bread

fill a large (like a 6 quart or so) pot 3/4 of the way with water, put over high heat, bring to a rolling boil, salt the water, and add the box of linguini. stir a few times to keep the pasta from sticking together.
while the pasta is cooking, add the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter to a large skillet over medium-high heat, let butter melt, and add the diced red onion. toss a few times to coat, then once a minute or so, until the onion begins to soften and carmelize (turn brown on the egdes). turn heat down to medium, and add the garlic. cook the garlic gently with the onion, stirring frequently, until it just begins to turn golden.

the pasta should be ready about now, so test it so that it is just little firm, not gushy. this is called al dente. drain the pasta when it is ready, set aside, uncovered.

dump the can of chopped clams into the onion and garlic, cook for a minute, then add the whole baby clams, including the liquid. add 2 more tablespoons of butter and 1 of the divided portions of parsley, cook until the butter is melted, stirring into the clams.
turn off the heat, dump the drained pasta over the clams and toss with a couple of spoons.
pour the clam tossed pasta into a large bowl, and sprinkle the remaining parsley over top.
serve with italian bread, olive oil for dipping (with a little salt and pepper added), and offer the grated cheese as you plate the pasta. not everyone likes cheese on their clams.

Cook some Sausage until it is done.

Add in some cooked peppers, and onions.

Put all that on top of some rice.

abjcooking,

I have spaghetti on the brain today - I really like your spaghetti wrap ups recipe. I tried to do the karma thing for/to you, but it isn't working for me (I click on the give karma link and the first post in this thread is displayed) . So, here's my thanks:
Thanks! My family will like this. Sandy

Hi Chrizzle, welcome to our DC family :chef:

Salads are really easy, you can keep them as simple or complex as you like, and as I've found they give you a lot of leeway to be creative. The same really goes for soups too, especially if you just start with a vegetable stock (no need for meat bones) and build the soup up from there.

I have a question which will help in picking a few recipes I have in mind. What time do you get home in the evening and how much time from there do you have before dinner should be served?

Here is an easy recipe that I just saw on Real Simple (the PBS show)

Real Simple Lasanga

20 oz bag of frozen cheese ravioli
jar of spaghetti sauce (I use Muir Glenn)
10 oz box of frozen, chopped spinach, defrosted and wrung dry
2 C moz cheese

Spray a 10 x 10 pan with Pam Spray. Preheat oven to 375.
Place 1/3 C sauce in the bottom of the pan.
Place frozen cheese ravioli on top of the sauce to form a uniform layer.
Sprinkle the spinach on top of the ravioli (I only use half of the package).
Next sprinkle with a handful of cheese.
Add more sauce, another layer of ravioli and the rest of the sauce. Sprinkle the remaining cheese ontop.
Cover with aluminum foil tightly and bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and continue to bake 10-15 more minutes or until cheese is bubbly.

One more easy one -

Feta Chicken

2-3 boneless chicken breasts, pounded thin
2-4 slices of feta cheese
fresh basil leaves (can used dried basil instead)
1 T olive oil
salt/pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375
Spray baking dish with Pam spray.
Pound the chicken breasts thin, add a layer of feta cheese and one fresh basil leaf (or a sprinkle of dried basil) and roll them up, securing with a toothpick.
Place into baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
Bake for approx 30 minutes or until breasts look done.

I serve this with rice pilaf and a greek salad.

Back
Top Bottom