Originally Posted by Kayelle
My opinion (the only one I'm entitled to) about "free range orgainic" chickens is they are a marketing hype. I've been cooking ordinary Foster Farms grocery store chickens for more years than I want to admit. I bought into the hype and purchased a free range chicken that cost 5 times more than it should have, and I could tell absolutely no difference in the quality or the flavor, I call that a rip off. Again, this is just my opinion.
Sadly, I agree as well. The organic chicken that I've purchased was more neatly butchered but the flavor difference (if there is one) is imperceptible.
Most people buy organic free range with the trust that the chickens are treated humanely and the hopes that their chicken isn't laden with pesticides and hormones. The price point needs to change though.
That said, easy way to cook chicken...
- Pound chicken breast(s) between 2 sheets of plastic wrap to 3/4 inch thickness. This makes them super easy to cook evenly. Use a rolling pin if you don't have a mallet.
- Season both sides of the chicken lightly with salt, pepper and a sprinkle of cumin and coriander.
- Saute the chicken in a pan with a few tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat until cooked through and lightly browned on both sides.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks and wrap the chicken in warmed corn tortillas.
- Heat some jarred salsa verde, pour it on top and you have quick chicken enchilada verdes.
It doesn't involve your available ingredients but it's an alternative to mix it up a bit. Cheers!