"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-02-2015, 02:42 PM   #11
Master Chef

These days I leave the ham plain because of the carbs and also because it limits what I can do with the leftovers.

The glaze packets that come with many hams today can be jazzed up with a little prepared mustard and apple juice in place of water.

This orange marmalade glaze from Smucker's is simple, easy and a different twist on the traditional pineapple and cherries.

Grandma Lori's Marmalade Glazed Ham - Smucker‚€™s

Good luck!

Old 03-02-2015, 02:52 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I have no idea how many I will be serving for Easter. May be as few as three or as many as eight. Probably won't even know the total till we sit down for dinner. I do not want a lot of leftovers. Your menu suggestions please.
This seems very inconsiderate of your guests!

I think I'd make a huge casserole eg boeuf bourguinon
Boeuf Bourguignon - Beef - Recipes - from Delia Online
Multiply the ingredients to suit the numbers you might get. The left-overs can be frozen for a later meal. Serve with French bread or mashed potatoes or rice or whatever you fancy. There are veg in the casserole so you could probably get away without serving a side veg dish.

If your guests can't be bothered to do you the courtesy of telling you whether they are going to turn up or not, they should think themselves lucky if they get a stale bread and mouse-trap cheese sandwich!

Old 03-02-2015, 02:57 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I would cook a traditional dinner and deal with the leftovers.

You could consider feeding them breakfast. Scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, juice etc... can all be done at the last minute.

The only other approach I can think of is to cook a basic dinner and ask the potential guests to bring a dish to pass. The more folks that show up the more food that will be on the table. Nobody will die if dinner consists of a ham and six bowls of jello salad, it will be a story they can all tell years from now.

Good luck.
But if they can't be bothered to reply to invitations can they be relied on to bring a dish to pass if they do turn up? Mind you, it would serve them right if there was no food because everyone "forgot" to bring their dish.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:01 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Thanks everyone. The ham looks like my best option. Now what can I do to dress it up a little. Pineapple and cherries are a little 1950 so even though hubby would love it I would like something more today.
I don't know about your side of the pond but over here "retro" food is very fashionable. In any case fresh fruit always goes down well however it's served.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:03 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thanks everyone. The ham looks like my best option. Now what can I do to dress it up a little. Pineapple and cherries are a little 1950 so even though hubby would love it I would like something more today.
I have always made a paste of crushed pineapple and brown sugar. I make sure I press out the juice from the pineapple. What moisture is left, is usually enough for the brown sugar to absorb. If not, then a spoonful or two of the saved juice can be added. I use dark brown sugar. It has more flavor. Save the juice and add some of it to the juices in the bottom of the pan. Those juices are great poured over baked sweet potatoes instead of loading them with butter.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:08 PM   #16
Executive Chef

If it were me, I would prepare enough food for eight, and if eight don't show up, send doggie bags home with those who do.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:49 PM   #17
Honey Badger

If it was me I'd make up an excuse that were all down with the swine flu.

That way the inconsiderate people that couldn't be bothered to r.s.v.p.with the gracious hostess who thought to invite them, would definitely not show up.
No worries for you.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:42 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
If it was me I'd make up an excuse that were all down with the swine flu.

That way the inconsiderate people that couldn't be bothered to r.s.v.p.with the gracious hostess who thought to invite them, would definitely not show up.
No worries for you.
I tend to agree Munky.

JF..what's the reason you don't have a guest count?
I really hate situations like that, and it would have to be a very serious reason someone couldn't give me a simple yes or no to an invitation. Maybe never cuts it with me. Once I was told by a friend that "maybe" she would come over next week and I countered maybe I'll be home.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cook, cooking