Easter Eggs and Silk Ties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
Check out these links about making colored eggs with old silk ties or scarves.

You'll need 7 inch square bits of colored silk and then also some white or muslin squares, eggs, water, white vinegar and some twist ties.

We used to do this when I was a little kid and it's a fabulous use for those really hideous silk ties - you know the ones in the back of your closet.....

How to dye: Silk-Dyed Eggs {aka TIE-Dyed!} - Our Best Bites
Easy way to blow out eggs: How To: Make Blown Egg Ornaments - Our Best Bites

Go on - get busy and raid the closet!

eggs.jpg

Last edited:
Drat, DH just gave his most hideous elderly ties to Goodwill.

Or not. I'll have to check the jeep and the garage. Or raid his closet again.

I showed this to SO. We now have next Easter's project. I was going to donate all my silk ties to Goodwill...

I'm going to give Dad a call and see if he still has all the ties I sent him over the years, some were M.C. Escher prints and would make eggsellent tie-dyed eggs.

Those sound amazing. Some of the most horrid prints seems to make the best eggs.

Some tips:

• When putting the silk on the egg tie it as tightly as possible - this makes a world of difference. Make sure that the good side of the fabric faces the shell.
  • Cook for 20 mins - don't be tempted to shorten this time. Cool entirely in the fabric.
  • You can use blown eggs for this or begin with raw - but I use blown so I can keep them around.
  • If you are going to blow them out - begin with thickest shelled eggs you can find. Usually free range or organic eggs have thicker shells. You can sort of tell this in the store - you can almost see through the really thin factory-farm eggs.

if your dad doesn't have any bad ties around - you might ask Frank... ;)

Last edited:
CWS and I both agree, if you can find brown shell eggs, then buy them. They are so thick, I sometimes have to bang them more than two times to get them to start cracking. There have been some that I swear are ostrich eggs they are so hard to crack. In New England, the stores sell mostly brown shell eggs. The white shells are considerably cheaper. But you can bet at least three eggs in any given carton are cracked because the shell is so thin. I don't care how cheap they are, I don't buy them for eating or every day cooking. There have been times when because the shell is so thin and porous, if you have a strong food like an apple in the fridge, the egg will pick up the taste of the apple. The only time I buy white eggs is around the holidays and I am going to be doing a lot of baking and I know I will use up at least a dozen. I have even looked at the recipes I am going to make and count up all the eggs. I have been know to bring the count to an even dozen or two. Even if I have to add another item to make. :angel:

Last edited:
Wow! Those are amazing, but they must be fragile as all get out.

I saw this many years ago. If my memory is not completely failing me, I think they have a way of strengthening the shell somewhat. I am never that artistic. I would draw a line and think I had created a Fabergé egg. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom